Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "worst" card and best "missing" card.  (Read 2714 times)

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
"worst" card and best "missing" card.
« on: April 08, 2015, 01:47:20 am »

I'm not nominating Reagan Bombs Libya but it fell out of the box as I packed away today and I thought what an utterly tripe event, a late war card that's rarely going to give you more than 1VP at best. I know every card can have a use, and I know that Jason and Ananda wanted to follow some historic lines with the events but sometimes it feels like too many of the events are never useful for their event. On the other side, it's always annoyed me that the Fischer-Spassky chess game "summit" isn't specifically* in the deck and thats the first variant homebrew card I will be making when I can decide which of the many variant rules I prefer (of my own making).

For fun, what would be your nomination for "utterly pointless event" card and what would you replace it with, if you could.

* yes I know you could argue that wargames is a clear nod to the chess summit
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 01:59:26 am by lambolt »

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: "worst" card and best "missing" card.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 09:22:26 am »

If I had to pick one card to remove, this would definitely be Summit. Usually unplayable for the event and nobody is happy to draw this card. Latin American Death Squads would be my second choice.

I had plethora of ideas for new cards. Fischer-Spassky was one of them. I was also thinking about Gagarin and Armstrong, Nobel Prize for Dalai-Lama, etc. The problem is that if you pick a meaningful person or event from the real history, the associated event should either be strong (and potentially gamechanging or at least harmful to the game balance) or it is weak and does not correspond to the card's name. On the other hand, you can pick a less-meaningful person/event and a less-meaningful event text but this won't probably be the card you're looking for (although it may sometimes change the balance). Two examples of such cards from my ideas:

Bahamas Independence* (US, Mid War, 1Op)
Whenever Central America is scored, Cuba no longer counts as a country adjacent to USA. Cuba counts as a country adjacent to USA for all other purposes.

INF Treaty* (neutral, Late War, 2Ops)
Move your opponent's Military Operations marker to 0.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 09:38:09 am »

Of course, if you want to make the game more tense, you may add a card not related to a single Cold War event, just an irritating one. For example:

Double Agent (neutral, Mid War, 1Op) [recurring]

Search through the discard pile for a non-scoring card of your choice and add the chosen card to your opponent's hand.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 12:45:51 pm »

INF - interesting - great AR7 play, can be combined with SALT in some situations to give even more vp (like if u know opponent has scoring card u can do AR 6 and 7 for 4 vp)

Double Agent - too strong, can instantly kill opponent in some situations (getting rid of lone gunman is often the worst nightmare for the whole mid war).

Worst card: definetly summit. I never played this for event in a normal game, cant barely imagine situation where it can be useful (maybe if it matters for Wargames its worth risking).

lambolt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 01:22:02 pm »

Oh but I love the Double Agent card!

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 03:58:39 pm »

As several cards with nasty events, Summit serves a niche but sometimes a crucial role. It had won me a totally lost otherwise game once when my opponent had forgotten about this card and played Missile Envy just to get back Summit from me. I also won one game because my opponent played Summit without realising the DEFCON effect.

If you really desperately need 2 VPs, this is a nice card. If DEFCON is higher than 2, this card is sometimes more effective (on average event result compared to card's Ops) than Olympic Games which are played as event quite frequently. This may be the worst card but not completely useless.

Double Agent is strong but not a killer (and even if it is a killer, it usually kills USSR). There are very few DEFCON suicide cards for USA. Holding one of them is USUALLY not a big deal. Note that in the turn in which you play Double Agent your opponent has one more card to hold, the DEFCON suicide may come in the next turn at earliest. I would not hold Double Agent and lessen the Ops in my hand just waiting for Lone Gunman, handing Decolonization, Quagmire, or even Summit to USA would be just as good.

Stryker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 11:58:04 pm »
+1

Hydrogen Bomb (neutral, Early War, 2Ops)
Play this card immediately following any coup attempt roll by Player.  Player may subtract any amount from roll provided result is a modified roll of "1" or more.  Add this same amount to Player's next coup attempt.

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 04:07:47 am »

Hydrogen Bomb is nice  :) (although implementing it would require some rules clarifications, for example: if a coup roll is already modified by Latin American Death Squads, SALT Negotiations, or both, what should be the order of modifying a roll result? or: should I use this card's operation value for the coup or some other value?)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.