Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: opinions on 1989 vs TS  (Read 1555 times)

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
opinions on 1989 vs TS
« on: April 08, 2015, 02:32:38 am »

I've got my hands full with TS but wondered what you lot thought of 1989 as a comparison, I've read several online articles trying to push the idea that its as good if not better, with some improvements over TS, but from the skimmed reading I've done it doesn't sound that convincing, and try as I might, the theme and setting somehow doesn't really "do it" for me compared to the TS implementation. But for example if its quicker to play it might be worth picking up for when you dont quite have time to put aside for TS. I'd looked at Labyrinth before and at least that has a more unique feeling setting but from what I gather, the game plays and feels very differently to TS and is even harder to wrap your head around.

Jabber

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: opinions on 1989 vs TS
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 04:33:39 am »

I got 1989 without knowing much about it except it being similar to TS, which I loved (and still do). But these days 1989 is definitely the game of choice.

1989 is in my opinion the better game, and it is clear to me that a lot of that is because of lessons learned with TS. For instance, TS has a number of cards which are never played för the event, which is not the case in 1989. A 4 Ops card always comes with a powerful event, and so on. Another improvement is the 1989 equivalent of the space track, which is done better. Finally, the rules does not suffer from all the weird edge cases that sometimes come in TS. All in all, a more stream lined and improved version of TS.

1989 also offer more variation in terms of strategy. Opening setup varies a lot more than in TS, and depending on what early events get played or not, strategies will change a lot.

Labyrinth on the other side was nothing but a disappointment to me. It had nothing of the quick and easy elegance of TS and 1989. It is a very different game, and one that does not get played much anymore.

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 06:05:40 am »

thanks for the feedback

but playing time not significantly shorter with 1989?

blitzgordon

• Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 08:35:24 am »

My experience is, 1989 is not shorter. There is no Defcon, and the power struggles at scoring usually takes some time - cards are dealt, the struggle is resolved, the game commences.

I actually like 1989 more nowadays as well, it feels less constricted. The scoring is much swingier, but the game in and of itself is not less balanced. VP-swings of 10 points or even more are not at all uncommon.

I'd say playing time is about the same, there are the same number of turns, 14 cards total played per turn, no Defcon suicides, and a power struggle that takes about 10 minutes (tops) per scoring.

It's very easy to get a feel for if you know TS, and feels a lot freer in a sense!

Jabber

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 08:49:29 am »

I would say playing time is about the same as well. As blitzgordon points out, power struggles takes extra time, but I would say 5 minutes tops per scoring. It's quite automatic.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.