Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Cambridge Five  (Read 1349 times)

MollyMae

• Respect: +2
    • View Profile
The Cambridge Five
« on: April 23, 2015, 02:25:56 pm »

The Cambridge Five card is a lot more valuable than I initially assumed.  It always seemed like sacrificing two ops for maybe one.  The information it gives is actually quite powerful, though, and the influence potentially gained is sometimes even stronger than 2 ops.  I've come to enjoy headlining it on the first turn under certain circumstances (if I don't have an auto-headline and don't hold any scoring cards, typically).

I think there should be a bit of a modification, and I'm thinking about trying it.

The only change would be the event text, which would read: Add 1 USSR influence to the UK.

That influence would be easy for the US to counter (use the card's Ops to repair the damage, and have one free op left over).  The only way this influence would be removed during Early/Mid War is by De-Stal, Truman Doctrine (a waste), or realignment (only at DEFCON 5, and not a normal target anyway).

So now we can add in a card that fits the theme and keeps the spirit of the original Cambridge Five card:

Kim Philby / The Third Man
A 2 or 3 ops Early War USSR card, not underlined or asterisked.
Event text: If the USSR has any influence in the UK, the US player exposes all scoring cards in their hand.  The USSR player may add 1 USSR influence to any single Region named on one of these scoring cards (USSR choice).  if the US has no scoring cards, the USSR player may use the ops value of this card to place influence.  Cannot be played as an Event in Late War.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 12:07:45 pm by MollyMae »

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Re: The Cambridge Five
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 04:58:30 pm »

Waaay out of balance :)

Auto headline for ussr, almost unplayable by usa (like about 3-4 other early war cards)

MollyMae

• Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: The Cambridge Five
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 03:15:06 pm »

Waaay out of balance :)

Auto headline for ussr, almost unplayable by usa (like about 3-4 other early war cards)

If the "no scoring cards" option of the Philby card was removed OR if the event was asterisked, would it be more favourable? 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.