Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Longest Quagmire Ever?  (Read 4109 times)

Nightlyraver

• Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Longest Quagmire Ever?
« on: October 28, 2012, 01:56:23 am »
+1

So what is the longest Quagmire you've ever seen?

This one lasted 10 rounds in my last game:

I am the USSR and US has Quagmire and 3 bad soviet events in his hand, though I don't remember which ones.  It is AR5, NORAD is not in effect, so he decides to Quagmire himself.  Ok, I make my move, and then on AR6 he rolls a 6.  Fantastic, I get to go again, but my turn is unfortunately wasted on spacing Grain Sales.  Next turn I am fortunate enough to get dealt Red Scare/Purge!  Of course I headline it, and then he rolls 2 more 6's in a row.  And at that point he runs out of 3 ops cards (remember, red s/p).  So I get to play the entire rest of the turn with the guarantee of not US response.  Took controll of South and Central America (only 2 scoring cards left in the deck) and flipped Pakistan to break US dominance in Asia.

Of course I won this game with 24 points on turn 7 after S. America got scored.   ;)

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Re: Longest Quagmire Ever?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:16:10 am »
+1

Without the opponent running out of cards, I have seen 3 or 4 rounds lost in a row by honestly rolling a 5 or 6. Also once saw a situation where the player did have cards that could be discarded, but also had scoring cards that had to be played before the turn ended and so lost rounds to that.

Very fortunate for you. Sad for the US. I bet that player never did that again.

JGH

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:15:15 am »
+1

Wow. That really, really hurts. Then again auto-quagmiring is a bad idea overall.

I've never been bear-trapped/quagmired or seen an opponent be bear-trapped/quagmired for more than two turns. Then again, in all my games, I've never had the opportunity to red-scare + quagmire.

() | (_) ^/

• Wargameroom username: paddyodoors
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:08:54 am »
+1

Had 14 failed rolls once, with a total of 18 action rounds missed.

About halfway through, I actually started hoping that I failed the rolls, just for the bragging rights (since I was obviously going to lose the game).

() | (_) ^/

• Wargameroom username: paddyodoors
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:31:34 am »

Had 14 failed rolls once, with a total of 18 action rounds missed.

About halfway through, I actually started hoping that I failed the rolls, just for the bragging rights (since I was obviously going to lose the game).

Oh and the best part was that it was from a self-inflicted Quagmire.

Cal

• View Profile
NEW ANNOUNCEMENT
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 07:11:50 pm »

Just came out of a game as the USSR. Self-inflicted Bear Trap around mid Turn4.

Eight discarded cards, seven failed rolls of 5-6, one AR skipped due to not having any 2op cards, one AR spent playing a scoring card, and one, final, successful roll of a 3 at the Turn 6 AR1.

If my math is right, rolling a 5 or a 6 seven times in a row is a one in 2187 chance, or about a 0.046% chance of happening.

The sad part was they were mostly all good cards, or at least not horrible. The only US cards thrown away were Puppet Governments and Grain Sales.

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:44:10 am »

IMO, the card should be modified so that if you discard a 2 ops card, you have a 4/6 chance of ending in, if you discard a 3 ops card, you have a 5/6 chance, and if you discard a 4 ops card, success is guaranteed.

blitzgordon

• Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 04:54:47 pm »

Marles:
Nah, that would make create certain situations where it's more favourable than now to Quag/BT yourself.
If you're holding WWBY as US, or Soviets shoot down KAL 007, 5 Year plan with CIA Created or Duck and Cover as USSR.
Maybe, just maybe, you could do like after two failed rolls you get out on a 1-5, but these situations so rarely arise, IMO.

Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 02:28:48 pm »

The card is fine how it is I think. The potential of a 2 or 3 AR Quagmire/Bear Trap adds tension to the game. It's just when it lasts an entire Turn that's where the game starts to become non-competitive.

blitzgordon

• Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 05:02:44 am »

Cal: I agree. If you manage to set up Quag and Red Scare so that your opponent misses out on an entire turn, well, that's just one of the ways to win the game, same as forcing USSR to discard and having to play CIA for defcon victory.
And in the few instances where a player loses 6 rolls in a row... Very few games incorporating dice are designed so that 6 extremely unlucky rolls in a row does not lose you the game.
Those instances are just the statistical anomalies you encounter once in a blue moon, or not at all. Quag/Bear Trap breaks the game in 0.046% of all the games they're played. I'm ok with those numbers.

MarlesChartel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 02:44:34 pm »

Just played a game where the US failed 4 quagmire rolls in a row, succeeded on the 5th, and then had to play two scoring cards. One of the two (Asia) he had domination since Turn 1, and lost it during the quagmire.

MarlesChartel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 11:43:36 am »

And, just played another game where I failed 5 bear trap rolls in a row. He scored SA for domination-no presence in the meantime. It basically decided the game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 23 queries.