Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hoarding the China Card  (Read 2474 times)

dd

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Hoarding the China Card
« on: June 02, 2015, 04:50:09 pm »

When I play, my opponents often hoard the China Card. Basically they will not play it unless a) they have to to save from DEFCON suicide, or b) they can claw it right back. It actually seems to me to be a very good strategy for the US. You can always get full impact from Ussuri and Formosan, also you are never in danger of DEFCON suicide. Also in most cases for the US, Asia is locked down before you receive it.

Well if it is good for the US to have, maybe the USSR should never give it up. (Simple logic, not even cold war logic). So they tend to not play it as the USSR also. I don't find it quite as useful here, the US can always steal it with Nixon and it can really help before Asia is locked down, but it still saves you from DEFCON suicide.

Does this happen in your games also - or does the China Card bounce back and forth quite a bit?

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Re: Hoarding the China Card
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 03:38:06 am »

Depends very much on the game. The China Card is one of the best examples of cards which may be useless if treated too dogmatically.

Note that if you hoard The China Card to force your opponent to hold a single card only, you basically force yourself to do the same.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

MichaelVal

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:57:15 am »

I'm a China Card hoarder.  Same applies whether I'm USA (because it can cause the USSR such pain) or USSR (because sometimes you just need to hold two cards).  Of course, there are times it makes sense to play China, but the gain must be very high before I'll do it.  If I can flip an Asian battleground to get or deny domination, I think it's usually worth it.  If I'm the USSR and holding a slew of extremely bad USA events, I'll usually do it.  But, I'll tolerate a lot of pain before I play it voluntarily.  There's little I enjoy more in TS than having the China card as USA and forcing my opponent to struggle in the mid or late war after he's been gut punched with Grain Sales or Red Purge on the headline.

dd

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 11:12:14 am »

As USSR, I often use it turn 2 to grab a bunch of Asia. But in hindsight, I don't know if it is worth it. First, I have to spend extra ops to overprotect Thailand and/or Pakistan. If I have these countries, the overprotection means the juicy 5 ops of the China Card is really no better than a 3 op card. Second, it just sits over the in the US stack all through the mid war, and one bad hand can basically kill your game.

So I do play it when the payoff is high enough, but I never expect it back.

sspiker

• Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 02:17:35 pm »

I definitely hoard it.

My long running theory of the game is that it's all about navigating your hand. Your real opportunities come from when your opponent has to play a card favorable to you, or otherwise loses momentum dealing with bad cards in his hand. For example, if he has to space race or play empty action rounds, you can take advantage of the board without a response.

That's why keeping pressure on our opponent is the the best way to win.

My play of the China Card falls into. My keeping the China Card, I prevent my opponent from having an easy out. That forces him to potentially play a card that's good for me, or at the very least play an empty action round. It keeps the pressure on him, which is exactly where I want it.

discomute

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 10:58:06 pm »
+1

I try to horde it but fail miserably. I mean there are 4-5 ops right THERE!

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 06:14:28 pm »

...for the opponent next round. Its a loan. With high percentage :)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.