Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What to do with this hand? (besides concede and play again!)  (Read 2451 times)

OnTheLastCastle

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
What to do with this hand? (besides concede and play again!)
« on: August 01, 2015, 05:20:13 pm »

Europe Scoring
Middle East Scoring

Romanian Abdication

Defectors
Independent Reds
Pakistani War
Decolonization

De-Stalinization

So I have 5 ops tied up in the insane you can't play these cards and 7 other ops. Seven. My opponent played more than that in his first two ARs.

KiG

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with this hand? (besides concede and play again!)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 04:46:44 am »

So you're the US...

Most games use 1 or 2 extra points of influence to the US, so you should have 2 in Iran. This means that you can headline ME scoring for 4VP (unless your opponent headlines Nasser.)

Set up Italy 4 Greece 1 Spain 1 Turkey 1. You have presence in Europe and don't need to worry about Blockade so Destal will be held till turn 3. Drop Europe scoring before your opponent can take a non battleground for -1vp (if your opponent takes West Germany then rejoice!).

Decol will be spaced, so if possible move through Angola, Zaire, Cameroon (if the USSR coups you get mil ops) next turn before it comes back after the reshuffle.

Apart from that try to get Thailand & look for a chance to gamble on I-P war...

lukiluk

• Wargameroom username: lukiluk
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:58:44 am »

That's actually not a bad hand.
Very much depends on the fate of the iron triangle (Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan) and whether your opponent has Vietnam Revolts.
If you manage to get at least 2 out of 4 (Pakistan, India, Iran, Thailand), you have quite a good game ahead of you. Destal is out for good (barring an early SALT by USSR), Decol at least for a while, which leaves US with good advantage in Mid War regions.
If you manage to dump ME Scoring for +4 and Europe for -1, you're in no danger of a steamroll - there's simply likely not enough VP to be gained from Asia and the second Europe/ME to put the USSR advantage in the danger zone.
Sure, you are at some disadvantage, but not by much - I've seen (and won with) much weaker starting hands.

MichaelVal

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 05:39:46 pm »

Set up 4 Italy, 2 Greece, 1 Turkey
Headline Mideast (+4 if you're playing with the usual USA +2 influence)
Score Europe as soon as you get a chance; should be easy to score it at -1 or -2 at worst
Space Decol at some point, hopefully before opponent spaces so that you can get the +2 vp bonus
Hold Destal
IPW possibly for the event, possibly for ops
Everything else for the ops
Focus on controlling Thailand and other SEA countries by the end of the turn
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:41:37 pm by MichaelVal »

discomute

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 10:55:11 pm »

my two cents of being USA and getting destal and decol is that you are far better off holding decol

Destal actually isnt that good if you play it straight away. If you use it turn 1 ar 1 then USSR is unlikely to have "spare ops" that he can use to open the board

And now it is removed from the game. I love drawing destal!

KiG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 07:49:54 pm »

Err, Finland 1, EG 1, Poland 1 or 2... and now the USSR is in Chile, France, Malaysia, South Africa, maybe India if USSR holds I-P war. That's really bad for the US

KiG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 07:53:25 pm »

In the case of this game Poland would stay at 3 and no placing in India but another ip might be available from the Iran coup.

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 06:12:29 pm »

I agree that actually its a nice hand.

I would go for a standard Europe setup, because opponent doesnt know ur hand so probably wont be trying to go for Europe (well he can always play soc govs and take ur Italy but he can also go socgovs+big coup if u go 4 italy. If it comes high enough, wchich means 3+ with 4ops card ur totally screwed - so better to have w germ at least).

I would play that turn as normal as i can. Headline me scoring (with +2usa 4 vp for u). Unless u really dont want to lose w germ u can headline defectors but I personally think thats a waste of ops.

Then u have to let him take Pakistan (after Afghanistan) and coup i guess with 2ops. If not work then again unless defcon is already at 3 then u play Malaysia (he might be having vietnam revolts then u just assume u lost asia, still can win with that - but i would take cheap countries like Indonesia, Philipines just to make him play ops).

U space decol, count of him not playing Blockade (wchich he shouldnt do if hes smart unless he Purged u).

Somwhere in the middle of the turn u score Europe for 0.

Today i won a game in wchich i had 4 ops added on board after turn 1 (lebanon, jordan, indonesia, phillipines) and Iran was emptied by his initial coup.

Turn one defence is easy pz i love that :)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.