Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: feedback on Chess card  (Read 1791 times)

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
feedback on Chess card
« on: August 25, 2015, 11:23:14 am »

I've been thinking about this for a while (I am sure this is one of the most common ideas for an extra variant mid war card based on the Fischer-Spassky match).

I'd prefer it not to be a clone of Olympic Games, but more of a brinkmanship/bluffing idea, remember the fiasco at the start about whether Fischer would even show up (didn't he even completely miss the first match).

It would be great to simulate the "no show" of Fischer, so something along the lines of the USSR has to play a card (hidden initially) with the USA choosing whether to "turn up" (play a card in response). The difference in OPS would be a VP award to the winner, and an IP placement for the loser (they're busy manipulating politics). I think that general thrust of an idea is where I'd try to take it.

But I'm also not sure how to bring in the events with that, so would it also be a chance for the USSR to try and dump a bad event or the US), but would it make the balance and idea too clumsy to also include a clause of event on losing players card occurs (no event if no card played).

Finally, would it need to include a redraw of 1 card or would its potential use as a "bad event dumper" make it acceptable for the hand size reduction?

there are loads of great black and white photos that would look good on the card, which is your favourite?
https://www.google.se/search?q=fischer+spassky&safe=off&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIuKmWhcXExwIVitcsCh2l4gEe&biw=1920&bih=955#imgrc=wfY3vPaVrz-u4M%3A
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:24:38 am by lambolt »

Rackenhammer

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: feedback on Chess card
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 06:04:14 pm »

Well, I would caution against making the event text too complicated.  The match, while symbolic, was not ultimately a watershed moment in the Cold War.

Like I posted on the BGG thread on the subject (which got derailed from movie quotes) I think a card like this would work better:

Fisher vs. Spassky*
2 ops, Neutral Mid-War

Gain 2 VP, then opponent may discard an event card of his side or neutral. Award opponent VPs equal to the Operation value of the card.

I think it carries more of the feeling of a chess play as opposed to a contested die roll. The player essentially gives his opponent a "fork," forcing them to either concede VP's or cut their handsize. On the opponent's side, they can pull a kind of "Queen Sacrifice" to give up 2-4 'safe' ops to neutralize, or even turn around, the effects of the event.
That also ties into whether there would be a "no-show," as the card discard is optional, and doesn't allow the dumping of a DEFCON suicide (though it does clear "Summit" out of your hand)

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 06:35:01 pm »

Well, I would caution against making the event text too complicated.  The match, while symbolic, was not ultimately a watershed moment in the Cold War.

Like I posted on the BGG thread on the subject (which got derailed from movie quotes) I think a card like this would work better:

Fisher vs. Spassky*
2 ops, Neutral Mid-War

Gain 2 VP, then opponent may discard an event card of his side or neutral. Award opponent VPs equal to the Operation value of the card.

I think it carries more of the feeling of a chess play as opposed to a contested die roll. The player essentially gives his opponent a "fork," forcing them to either concede VP's or cut their handsize. On the opponent's side, they can pull a kind of "Queen Sacrifice" to give up 2-4 'safe' ops to neutralize, or even turn around, the effects of the event.
That also ties into whether there would be a "no-show," as the card discard is optional, and doesn't allow the dumping of a DEFCON suicide (though it does clear "Summit" out of your hand)

I like this idea of an event text very much!
What I would add is that the dicsarded card may not be a scoring card.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Rackenhammer

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 10:38:23 pm »

Thank you!  And yes, that should be added.

lambolt

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 10:21:14 am »

Sorry for the late followup, I appreciate the feedback but then it felt too much like "your" idea so I'll probably Think about it some more :)

For your suggestion I am not so sure its a good event, most of the time those 2 OPS will be used, so I only see the event being triggered when the VP is at a critical Point like near auto victory or wargames boundary.

If it gives the player auto victory then the event kind of is irrelevant, and there wont be many situations where the Points are relevant in a way that makes a decision for the other player to reduce hand size, i.e. they will likely only do that if the Points are absolutely critical, but then the chess player has just given up a round since the opponent discards to reverse the 2 VP (or even go the other way).

So, I Think it should really be a 1 ops card if its going to get played, or for 2+ ops needs to have a more tangible effect that is more tempting than 2 ops.

Yes, maybe the chess game wasnt so important but this is more of a Vanity Project for my own game, I wont be producing a kickstarter promo pack, so i am happy for its importance to be overstated since there will only be 1 such card produced :)

Maybe the easiest way is something relating to a gamble for OPS such as Olympic Games but high die roller gets either
- the difference in die roll as OPS
- OPS equal to the lowest number rolled
- or even let the Active player roll, the other player can decide whether to oppose the roll "turn up", if not the Active player gets 2 (or 3) ops, or risk Rolling (using one of the above 2 mechanisms) - thematically this would become a USSR event though, since it was Fischers attendance in question

I also like the potential of a gambled event discarder, so just a rolloff, high roller gets to discard a card

probably will avoid ditching scoring cards as you say
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.