Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tough Spots  (Read 1165 times)

yogibear

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Tough Spots
« on: November 16, 2015, 05:29:39 pm »

Had a tough decision in a game last night and wanted to run it through the forum work group.

Last AR of Turn 1. Playing as the USA. Defcon at 2 after USSR won the coup war in Iran. USSR took Afghanistan, then Pakistan, but is not into India yet. I've crept up from Australia into Laos/Cambodia so can probably get control of Burma before USSR. USSR has North and South Korea, I have Thailand and Japan, Asia scoring not out yet. Haven't spaced anything this turn.

It's the last AR of Turn 1 and I have De-Stalinization and Indo-Pakistani War in my hand. Which do I keep for Turn 2?

MichaelVal

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Re: Tough Spots
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 09:13:56 pm »

Keep Destal without question and hold it through next turn as well.  The tougher question is do you go for a very low chance, very high reward war in Pakistan or do you play it safe and use the 2 ops.  I think I'd play it safe and use the ops if the game is basically even.

Eruantalon

• Wargameroom username: Janusz_Wójciak
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 07:42:50 am »

I guess you have no valid coups if you go To Burma and threaten to take India AR1? Because,  it might be good approach to put at least 1 IP there, if you can somehow capitalize (pun intended) on it (get an AR1 coup).

You probably have milops, basing on the "coup war" part, so playing Ind-Paki for eventdoes not grant any useful MilOps. Now, you probably do not have valid coup targets T2 and probably Panama is only BG opponent can coup - given this I'd go for event - even if USSR has 2 ops in Pakistan and will be able to take it with China, you gain India and China - although only on roll of '6' - but only if you do not need ops for some urgent stuff (overprotecting Thailand, disrupting scoring et c - long story short - tough to decide without seeing the map.

Keep Destal for sure!

KiG

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 01:44:54 am »

Just to emphasise this, keep Destal until turn 3 even if it means losing West Germany to Blockade, unless Europe scoring is going to push you dangerously close to an auto defeat.

Eruantalon

• Wargameroom username: Janusz_Wójciak
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 06:54:40 am »

Keeping Destal out of the deck till (at least) T8 is huge - It can easily be a difference between USSR Supremacy in SA and footholds somewhere else (Africa?), easily 40VP's over the whole course of the game. I would maybe risk spacing decol, especially if Asia is sealed already; but destal is just a key event.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.