Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Your TS Quirks  (Read 5550 times)

Anders2004

• Wargameroom username: Anders2004
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Your TS Quirks
« on: December 23, 2015, 06:12:01 pm »
+1

Maybe quirk is the wrong word, but what is some strategic thing you like to follow that is not necessarily a consensus thing?

For example, if I'm USSR and draw Ussuri holding the China Card, depending on what else is in my hand etc., I'm almost always fine with just playing it to get that card out of the deck.

MichaelVal

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Re: Your TS Quirks
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 02:59:04 am »

I routinely use a couple of opening USA set ups that I almost never see anyone else use.  First is 3 West Germany, 2 France, 2 Italy with Marshall as the headline and no DeGaulle or Suez in my hand (or possibly with Europe scoring and one of DeGaulle or Suez in hand).  Second is 4 Italy, 2 Greece, 1 Turkey if I'm using an empty West Germany opening, which I like better than the more common empty West Germany openings.

I also tend to Bear Trap myself a lot, as recommended by Riekkennen, but that has not always worked as well as planned.    :-\

Along the lines of quirky, and not strategy, I like to use cards historically relevant to the country in which I'm conducting operations.  For example, Cuban Missile Crisis to realign Cuba or Arab Israeli War to put influence into Israel. 

And for extra quirky, my favorite way to win is to use Kitchen Debates to reach 20+ vps.  If I'm close to auto victory and feeling confident, I might even try to set it up so that Kitchen Debates is the winning play.

Anders2004

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 08:04:03 pm »

I routinely use a couple of opening USA set ups that I almost never see anyone else use.  First is 3 West Germany, 2 France, 2 Italy with Marshall as the headline and no DeGaulle or Suez in my hand (or possibly with Europe scoring and one of DeGaulle or Suez in hand).  Second is 4 Italy, 2 Greece, 1 Turkey if I'm using an empty West Germany opening, which I like better than the more common empty West Germany openings.

I also tend to Bear Trap myself a lot, as recommended by Riekkennen, but that has not always worked as well as planned.    :-\

Along the lines of quirky, and not strategy, I like to use cards historically relevant to the country in which I'm conducting operations.  For example, Cuban Missile Crisis to realign Cuba or Arab Israeli War to put influence into Israel. 

And for extra quirky, my favorite way to win is to use Kitchen Debates to reach 20+ vps.  If I'm close to auto victory and feeling confident, I might even try to set it up so that Kitchen Debates is the winning play.

That's a very high risk, high reward setup ... I also don't mind Bear Trapping myself if I have a bad hand. Sometimes it's not even that horrific to get a 2 AR one if your hand is bad enough ...

KiG

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 08:39:33 pm »

I've missed 5+ ARs about 4 times now, but I still play it! It's almost a nice card for the USSR to keep around for a bad late war hand.

I tend to overvalue OPs relative to VPs and occasionally play suboptimal moves because they fit the 'story' of the game better. I also love using WWBY + NORAD to flip countries unexpectedly.

Anders2004

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 12:47:07 am »

I've missed 5+ ARs about 4 times now, but I still play it! It's almost a nice card for the USSR to keep around for a bad late war hand.

I tend to overvalue OPs relative to VPs and occasionally play suboptimal moves because they fit the 'story' of the game better. I also love using WWBY + NORAD to flip countries unexpectedly.

That's a good one, but has to be pretty rare right?

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 02:52:32 am »

I like playing SALT Negotiations on my AR7 as USSR, then Nuclear Subs in the next round's AR1 and realign Early War regions.
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

Anders2004

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 02:46:05 pm »

I like playing SALT Negotiations on my AR7 as USSR, then Nuclear Subs in the next round's AR1 and realign Early War regions.

Interesting. You don't have an example of this saved do you? Seems like fun, but in a lot of cases you'll be susceptible to being couped, right? There would definitely be some times where this would work great though.

Eruantalon

• Wargameroom username: Janusz_Wójciak
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 07:18:10 am »

I agree with giving China via Ussuri, do same thing. I also like to headline Decol T1, even without having defectors and usually don't play Norad for event (3 ops? No way to spare).

I only HL RS/P if I have strong hand, even more so in Early War - 4 ops are costly, getting it cancelled by defectors even more costly - to really use advantage of proper RS/P it should rather last 7 AR's and you should have strong hand to be able to abuse oponents lack of power. Only exception might be T1 as USA - gives you edge in fight over Iran/Italy, strpis USSR of ability to use China to flip Pakistan/Thailand, generaly takes away it's momentum in most critical phase of the game.

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 11:43:07 am »

Headline WWBY as USA and AR1 UN + Lone Gunman.

Yesterday i took FYP with SALT as USSR... and UN + Duck and Cover next AR.

And the biggest thing... USA AR7, mil ops are 0 0 for both players play How I learned and put Defcon to 5 for 5vps.

inimora

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 11:11:28 am »

Yesterday i took FYP with SALT as USSR... and UN + Duck and Cover next AR.
I dont see the point.

I only HL RS/P if I have strong hand, even more so in Early War - 4 ops are costly, getting it cancelled by defectors even more costly - to really use advantage of proper RS/P it should rather last 7 AR's and you should have strong hand to be able to abuse oponents lack of power. Only exception might be T1 as USA - gives you edge in fight over Iran/Italy, strpis USSR of ability to use China to flip Pakistan/Thailand, generaly takes away it's momentum in most critical phase of the game.
RS/P is strong in middle war because ussr cant space anymore all of the powerfull 2ops event (grain, colonial, pupet, voa)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:16:59 am by inimora »

budzo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 05:42:55 pm »
+1

U play FYP to discard bad scoring card. If u take it with SALT u have one card more therefore u cant play it on your last Action Round (or u can if desperate but have 50% chance of keeping the scoring card in hand). If u play SALT -> FYP then UN sth else ure left with just FYP and scoring on your last AR.

inimora

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 06:04:02 am »

Ok this is clear now, i was focusing on duck and cover and tought this was something about defcon but in fact it works with any usa's event.

Eruantalon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 05:17:34 pm »

RS/P is strong in middle war because ussr cant space anymore all of the powerfull 2ops event (grain, colonial, pupet, voa)

I know this. This is exactly why I call my tendency a "quirk". and a one I'm working on changing x D

KiG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 12:05:22 am »

Yes, our 'quirks' are basically the stuff we like to do whether they are perfect play or not ;)  For the longest time I had a hard time taking gambles like rolling for the War cards instead of playing them for ops. Now maybe I roll the dice too often!

budzo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 12:17:06 pm »
+1

I think that metagame changed a bit.

2 years ago there was a tendency of playing everything for ops, ops were precious, VPs not mattered until late mid war (or in case of being near +/- 20)

Nowadys VPs do matter since T1 headline. I do not hesitate to play Indo-Pakistani War for event just to get 2 mil ops (and possible 2VPS for winning the war), I almost always play Nazi Scientists for event 2 years ago that would be ops for sure. I often see Arms Race for event even on turns 4-5 (altough that is a rare case).

KiG

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 09:08:13 pm »

Interesting, there seem to be plenty of steamroller wins for the USSR at the highest level even with US+2 so I can see why VPs are back in fashion!

tod

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 11:00:40 pm »

As a newby, playing as USSR, i put influence in EG and Austria in order to realign WG (at +1) and Italy.

MichaelVal

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 10:51:29 am »

As a newby, playing as USSR, i put influence in EG and Austria in order to realign WG (at +1) and Italy.

That's like a half-COMECON.  How do your USA opponents set up in response?  If playing no extra USA influence, I might be tempted to let you try your luck at the dice and do a normal WG 4, Italy 3 set up, so that I could get out of Iran if you realign on AR1 (assuming you don't get super lucky and wipe me out of both WG and Italy).  When playing extra USA starting influence, I likely set up Italy 4, Greece 2, Turkey 1.  There's also some possibilities of doing something different if I hold EEU or Truman.

KiG

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 05:26:54 pm »
+2

Another quirk. When playing very slow players I sometimes lose the will to live and headline Olympic Games  :o

budzo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 05:49:35 am »

That's like a half-COMECON.  How do your USA opponents set up in response?  If playing no extra USA influence, I might be tempted to let you try your luck at the dice and do a normal WG 4, Italy 3 set up, so that I could get out of Iran if you realign on AR1 (assuming you don't get super lucky and wipe me out of both WG and Italy).  When playing extra USA starting influence, I likely set up Italy 4, Greece 2, Turkey 1.  There's also some possibilities of doing something different if I hold EEU or Truman.

I think best US response is healdine Duck and Cover :) If u have Marshall Plan u can also do 2 Fr, 3 W Germ, 2 Italy and HL MP. If u have neither u can try to place 1 or 2 inf in Austria.

dd

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 05:27:14 pm »

I don't know if this is a quirk or standard play, but if I have soc gov as the USSR in the first turn, I'm always going to try to run over Europe. At worst, taking Italy AR1 will force a response in Europe allowing a pivot to the ME and Western Asia.

budzo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 06:46:31 am »

It is generally a good move. But be aware that good US player can just ignore Europe (theres not much he can do there anyways).

Eruantalon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 04:27:27 am »

He can ignore it and go for Asia. On the other hand, investing just bit more OP's (2-4) you secure Euro Dom and still as USSR can contest Asia/ME.

Chimista

• Wargameroom username: chimista
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 01:28:26 pm »

About my "quirks":

As US I hate to put influence in Japan, I'd rather wait for the USSR to play US-Japan to get those ip's free. Of course if I get the card I'm more open to invest, but my trend is to fight as hard as I can to get other Asian BG's, such as NK.

In Europe, as the US, I also hate to invest in mediterranean countries, I always wait for the USSR to play Marshall and then I top them up. As USSR I rarely fight for Europe domination, I'm contented by securing France to prevent US domination... so in general I'm not a keen investor in Europe, which is a total quirk, since it normally can mean a bunch of points.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.