Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Defectors  (Read 1046 times)

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
Defectors
« on: January 06, 2016, 10:40:35 am »

What happens if Defectors is played by USA during the Soviet Action Round? For example, USSR plays Star Wars which leads to activate Defectors. VP or not?
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Re: Defectors
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 12:00:52 pm »

According to card text "played by USSR" it shouldnt.

For me it shouldnt also give VP in case FYP -> Defectors. Or someone should give an errata to the card text.

Eruantalon

• Wargameroom username: Janusz_Wójciak
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 12:17:32 pm »

Let's see the event text:

" If this card is played by the USSR during its action round, the US gains 1 VP."

It definitely tells us, that in order to award 1 VP to USA, 2 conditions must be met.

a) Defectors must be played during USSR's action round (basically equal USSR must be phasing player)
b) USSR must play this card

I can't agree, that defectors are "played" by USSR if they discard it on FYP. The same is also true for Star Wars. Playing card means either playing it as an event or for ops (or on space track, though it seems to be debatable and is not important in here). Enemy cards can only be played for ops (which is not equal to making an even occur - vide: Star Wars). Since In neither case they are played for ops, no VP's should be awarded (thus we should also suggest Bruce to change rules implementation in WGR client unless it's official ruling of game designers)

MichaelVal

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 04:50:43 pm »

The key question here is who "plays" the card:  USSR, USA, both, or neither?  To my mind, the word "plays" implies some active choice involving the card.  In this case, the USA chose Defectors, not the USSR.  The USSR didn't use its ops to place influence or choose how to implement an event.  So, I don't think the USSR has "played" the card, and thus its condition is not met.

budzo

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 12:05:00 pm »

I agree with both of U. Vassal also follows this way of thinking.

The card is not played neither by US or USSR.

This goes that way:

Card is drawn by FYP effect -> event occurs and text on card is resolved -> according to card text nothing happens -> card is discarded.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.