Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 415 times)

MZA

• Mr. Bip!
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Hi!
« on: June 18, 2016, 07:16:37 am »

Hi all,

I'm Murray, a 41 year-old Twilight addict from Newbury, UK.  My (relevant) background is a near-lifelong interest in both hobby games and poker, and a fascination with Cold War history.  In spite of these innate preferences, TS somehow managed to become my favourite game of all time...  ;D

I downloaded the ebook (thank you thank you thank you!) many moons ago and dusted it off again recently in readiness for the Steam implementation, which has been a godsend for me - the only friends I have who play TS have busy lives and other interests / significant others to juggle, so I was only playing about once every year to two years (I kid you not).  In the last month that's jumped to around once every 3 or 4 days; although this is primarily against random strangers, that doesn't matter as long as I'm feeding my habit.  ;)

I enjoy pimping the games I own, but TS doesn't lend itself to pimpery very well IMHO; my cards are sleeved (natch) and I have custom dice, that's about it.  I'll be trawling the forums shortly, but I guess if I have an opening question it would be this: do any other forum members also pimp their games, and if so, what have you done to improve on (deluxe ed) Twilight Struggle?  Let's see some pics!  My next project is to create a foamcore insert, and tuckboxes that fit sleeved card decks (I've tried every one currently on BGG but none of them fit, regardless of page sizing... I often create my own though, so this isn't a big deal); but I'm mainly asking for ideas for cool 3D components (suitable replacements for the Turn/Action/Space Race/Defcon charts, for example...)

TIA!

MZA
No power in the 'verse can stop me... 8)

MollyMae

• Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 12:08:13 pm »

Hi all,

I'm Murray, a 41 year-old Twilight addict from Newbury, UK.  My (relevant) background is a near-lifelong interest in both hobby games and poker, and a fascination with Cold War history.  In spite of these innate preferences, TS somehow managed to become my favourite game of all time...  ;D

I downloaded the ebook (thank you thank you thank you!) many moons ago and dusted it off again recently in readiness for the Steam implementation, which has been a godsend for me - the only friends I have who play TS have busy lives and other interests / significant others to juggle, so I was only playing about once every year to two years (I kid you not).  In the last month that's jumped to around once every 3 or 4 days; although this is primarily against random strangers, that doesn't matter as long as I'm feeding my habit.  ;)

I enjoy pimping the games I own, but TS doesn't lend itself to pimpery very well IMHO; my cards are sleeved (natch) and I have custom dice, that's about it.  I'll be trawling the forums shortly, but I guess if I have an opening question it would be this: do any other forum members also pimp their games, and if so, what have you done to improve on (deluxe ed) Twilight Struggle?  Let's see some pics!  My next project is to create a foamcore insert, and tuckboxes that fit sleeved card decks (I've tried every one currently on BGG but none of them fit, regardless of page sizing... I often create my own though, so this isn't a big deal); but I'm mainly asking for ideas for cool 3D components (suitable replacements for the Turn/Action/Space Race/Defcon charts, for example...)

TIA!

MZA

Here's an extremely late reply, but I tend to upgrade games, typically with inserts and upgraded components.  As you mentioned, TS doesn't lend itself well to that.  I decided to make mine special in a different way, though.  I ended up taking the board around with me as an autograph board.  I'd let folks sign on their favourite place in the world.  Some signatures I've collected:

Eric Stuart - Musician/Voice actor (signed Brooklyn, NY)
J Michael Tatum - Voice actor (signed France)
Joe Philley - Actor, Niantic Labs Employee, Former Secret Service (signed Vietnam)
Ashly Burch - Youtube celebrity/comedian (signed the Atlantic Ocean)
Jeff Stein - Designer of The War Game: World War II (signed New Orleans, LA)

A few signatures that I missed because I didn't have my board: Chris Hadfield (Canadian Astronaut), Abigail Harrison (Mars Generation/Space Exploration Enthusiast), Antoine Bauza (game designer), Yasser Seirawan (chess Grandmaster)

It definitely makes my copy of TS unique.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:09:24 pm by MollyMae »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.