Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: T1 Defcon management  (Read 540 times)

MZA

• Mr. Bip!
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
T1 Defcon management
« on: March 20, 2017, 07:44:20 am »

Hi all,

I regularly play against a particular opponent who is strong with the force (I'd always rather play against someone better than me tbh... you can interpret this as either 'wanting to be challenged' or 'masochism' as you prefer... ;D ) and the same situation crops up in many of our (online) games.

T1AR1USSR - he coups Iran and ends with influence there and Defcon at 4.
  T1AR1US - I counter-coup and retake Iran, Defcon is now at 3.

Then, instead of counter-counter-couping on T1AR2, he'll leave things as they are, Defcon-wise.  If I take Pakistan, he'll take Afghanistan.

I know that generally the US wants to avoid taking Defcon to 3 but whether or not I'll do so is largely dependent on my opening hand (and even with the threat of Vietnam Revolts et al, isn't it still better to try and retake Iran and secure the Iron Triangle?  Which is the greater imperative here?)

I'd be interested to hear people's general thoughts and opinions on any or all of the above, but the $64,000 question is - what do I do now about Defcon?  I know from experience that if I leave it at 3, so will he, meaning T2 begins at Defcon 4 and he can Coup (very possibly with the China Card) in Asia, to great effect (bye-bye Pakistan or Thailand).  However, the only real alternative - wasting OPs on couping Iraq, purely to lower Defcon, at a time when the US needs all the OPs it can get (and has already met its Military Ops requirement) - seems blatantly sub-optimal.

I'd welcome your advice and opinions regarding all of the above!
No power in the 'verse can stop me... 8)

KiG

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Re: T1 Defcon management
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:30:18 pm »
+1

Many possible answers... First if DEFCON is at 4 you'll probably get 2VP next turn from couping, which is good. Alternatively if you have a possibility to deny presence in the ME by couping Iraq then that is a plausible AR6. If Nasser comes out then that will also be a viable target. Don't be too scared of coups though, if Thailand is 3*/0 then a non-boosted China Card has only a 50/50 chance to flip it... and giving up the China Card should never be done lightly.

MZA

• Mr. Bip!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 12:24:21 pm »

Thanks KiG, that's helped provide a framework for me to work within.  I'd welcome any other feedback anyone might have!

LWhisley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 06:27:23 am »

Well done . For a  Great cause.

robert_guiscard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 04:55:19 pm »

Two-parter....

Could you take Pakistan, and try and go for India in Turn 1? You might not control India, but you could present him with several targets instead of just one.

Many possible answers... First if DEFCON is at 4 you'll probably get 2VP next turn from couping, which is good.

Excuse the ignorance here, KiG, but how can you get 2 vp from couping in turn 2?

MZA

• Mr. Bip!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 10:38:33 am »

Two-parter....

Could you take Pakistan, and try and go for India in Turn 1? You might not control India, but you could present him with several targets instead of just one.

A fair response, it would depend on how many 'spare' OPs I had to commit to this avenue and whether I hold Indo-Pak War to some degree, but it at least presents a viable option!

Excuse the ignorance here, KiG, but how can you get 2 vp from couping in turn 2?

I believe KiG is referring to the fact that, if I don't lower Defcon any further in T1, nor will my opponent, meaning T2 will start with Defcon improving to 4.  He will then coup an Asian BG (assuming I have Inf in one), leaving Defcon at 3 (assuming no shenanigans via HL and/or Duck and Cover), giving me the chance to countercoup, thereby securing Mil Ops I would otherwise have been denied, for a net gain of 2VP.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 21 queries.