Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Odd T1 hand, not sure what to HL?  (Read 339 times)

MZA

• Mr. Bip!
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Odd T1 hand, not sure what to HL?
« on: June 23, 2017, 04:35:26 am »

This isn't another "terrible hand, what do I do?!?" thread - I've seen far worse hands than this, and am comfortable with playing it in-turn.

My question is more specific - what card do I HL (and why?)

Playing as US:

De-Stal
UN Intervention
Romanian Abdication
Nasser
Five Year Plan
Formosan Resolution
Nuclear Test Ban
Cambridge Five

Taking these in turn:

De-Stal, UN Intervention - blatantly not.  The former is my hold (ideally for the next 2 turns) card, the latter cannot be HL'd.
Romanian Abdication - would get rid of a 1 OP and give Indie Reds a target when it appears, but also gives him an easy Domination if has EU scoring and opens with an Italy coup (which he occasionally does) or DeGaulles his way into France.
Nasser - again, culls a 1 OP, and gives me a target if the Iran coup leaves it at 0/0, but I usually prefer to play 2 into Egypt before playing Nasser, and (depending on the outcome of the coup chain) it could both cut me off from Libya AND make Israel harder to defend.
FYP - I'm loathe to HL a 3 OP in T1, least of all one that could potentially do more harm than good.
Formosan - highly situational event at best, too early to say if it's going to be needed, strips the deck in his favour.
Nuclear Test Ban - VP buffer wouldn't hurt but no way am I HL'ing my only 4 OP in T1.
Cambridge Five - doesn't technically hurt me but gives him some information (i.e. I have no scorecards) and doesn't actually achieve anything.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 07:42:07 am by MZA »
No power in the 'verse can stop me... 8)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
Re: Odd T1 hand, not sure what to HL?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 12:37:21 pm »

Yeah it's not great - I think you have no choice but to HL Nasser.  It gives you if nothing else an easy early coup target.

Vasek

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Odd T1 hand, not sure what to HL?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 05:56:24 am »
+1

I would headline the Romanian abdication, while reinforcing Italy at the same time (with the"traditional" setup 4DE, 3IT). You are going to give him Romania for free at one point or another during the 1 round anyway and you only loose 1 OP.

Headlining Nasser is too much of a risk. The opponent might have the Middle-East Scoring and/or headline Suez Crisis or arab-israeli war and kick you out fo the region for the most of the game. Or, In the 1st AR, he might put 1OP in Egypt and 3OP in Iran - thus controlling both countries with 3OP and making them super-difficult to coup. You would need a really good dice roll with your only 4OP card to revert it.  For me, manaing Nasser would be the greatest challenge fo your 1st turn and you should do it towards the end of it, once you know better what the opponent is up to and what seems to be the fate of the Middle East.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.