Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Full deck Time Spiral Struggle  (Read 1770 times)

SnowFire

• Respect: +15
    • View Profile
Full deck Time Spiral Struggle
« on: November 13, 2012, 03:21:29 am »

Seems a rather obvious and easy to implement variant I'm sure people have played - has anyone tried just shuffling all three decks together and seeing what happens?   I suspect you'll grind through the whole deck by turn 6 or so, followed by a big reshuffle and a final grind through the now notably smaller deck on turns 7-10.  (I've never tried this, to be clear, so this is all theorycrafting.)

My assumption is that this results in a notably swingier and more random game than vanilla TS.  Lots of powerful Late War stuff meant to break influence stalls that can come out fast, and scoring cards are super swingy now that it's harder to know what will be scored "soon" if you didn't draw the card yourself.  While this usually favors the US from some awesome US events that can now come out to play earlier, I suspect it's just generally swingy - the USSR can console itself with stuff like a Turn 1 Iranian Hostage Crisis headline, or a turn 2 Red Scare -> The Reformer to wreak havoc in Europe to compensate for fearing fast US Puppet Governments or Voice of America.  Some of the Late War "cancels X event" events become stronger too - now North Sea Oil can be discovered in 1954 and OPEC will be eternally useless, for example.

Anyway, seems like it might be amusing to play...  once.  Potential house rule addendums for the format (with only the first one being really required):

* Wargames only gets shuffled in for the 2nd time through the deck, for obvious reasons.
* Arguably there should be 9 cards & 7 impulses per turn from the start as well, too, since the smaller Early War deck isn't a factor?  Not a huge deal either way.
* If you want to give players some knowledge about where to invest, take Europe / Asia / Middle East scoring aside, then grab about ~half the deck and shuffle those 3 in, then stick it on top.  That should guarantee those are scored in the first three to four turns of the game.  (But of course other regions might also be scored then, too...)  If you want to reflect the fact that the early-scoring regions can get scored 3 times in a normal game of TS, then any scoring cards scored in the first two rounds get shuffled back into the deck.

Jayne Starlancer

• Hero of Canton
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Re: Full deck Time Spiral Struggle
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 06:21:36 pm »

This is something interesting that never occurred to me before, though I have been tossing around a similar idea in my head for Paths of Glory.

How about each player gets dealt a 10 card hand (9 in Early War), but keep the action rounds the same? Players will now hold around 2 cards per turn. This could help compensate for some potential terrible situations.

Errnamicross

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Full deck Time Spiral Struggle
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 02:19:36 am »

I will follow your friends to read.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 20 queries.