Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: End of Game Hand  (Read 2401 times)

Fugitive Unknown

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
End of Game Hand
« on: November 13, 2012, 06:25:59 am »
+2

So. I was playing a game a few minutes ago as the US player (as always). It was a pretty tense fight. I'd managed to move into Pakistan/India, but my opponent had taken SE Asia completely, as well as Korea. The mid east gave him the advantage. I grabbed lebenan and Jordan and Isreal, but he'd managed to pick up all the 2 Muslim States. Africa was decidedly his, with me only holding SA, but he didn't technically have any non battlegrounds so he couldn't claim domination. Europe kind of sucked, with him holding Italy thanks to an early coup, but he couldn't claim domination since he'd had to use Marshall plan to do it, and I used that to grab spain, turkey, and greece (which I swear, are the keys to holding europe).

I had the starting influence in Panama, he had Cuba thanks to Fidel.

And then I drew the god hand. It was so good I honestly wasn't sure what to do with it.

Quagmire (the bad card)
Bear Trap
Grain Sales to Soviets
Arms Race
OAS Established
How I Learned
Cuban Missile Crisis
Man in Tehran

Oh man, it was just awful. Missile Envy Drew Muslim Revolution, which realigned Cuba and one of the African Battlegrounds. His envy couped panama, which flat out failed (!!!). Grain Sales stripped a 3, and I took Isreal since it was freaking easy. I grabbed pres in CA.. and then I noticed he was going for dom of ME around turn 4, and he was playing 2's. I decided to use Cuban to force him to play a 3 to get domination on 5, and then dropped the bear trap, which ended up costing two positive soviet scoring events. My last play was (of course) Stop Learning as event, to raised Defcon to 5.

Next round, I drew into Purge and headlined it. He got to see it first, but he quit right there - all he had was a hand of scoring cards and 1's and 2's, so the trap would have gone on the entire turn, with the US getting a full load of coups. Ew.

Never doubt the power of dumb luck.

() | (_) ^/

• Wargameroom username: paddyodoors
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Re: End of Game Hand
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 10:00:27 pm »

Never doubt the power of dumb luck.

OR ...

"Always give luck a chance to get you back in the game!"

bsheehan34

• Wargameroom username: brad_ts
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 01:17:52 am »

Or never ever ever concede a game of ts

Fugitive Unknown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 07:09:35 pm »

Oh, I disagree with that sentiment, strongly.

We were playing a fairly balanced game. Soviet had a substantial point lead, but that's expected for them. I'd managed to stalemate him in Asia and Europe. He had Africa (not a HUGE deal) and hadn't gotten to play Decol/Destal for presence in South Am. I was down but nowhere near out.

On the other hand, if your heading into turn four and are getting dominated in every region except one (where it's a tie) and has SA and CA presence and your 12 points down? You aren't going to win that.

If your at -18 points and your opponent headlines WWBY (and you don't have UN) you aren't going to win.

If you give an opponent, from Defcon 5, a complete turn of free plays? Yeah, I can understand why you wouldn't want to play that out.

bsheehan34

• Wargameroom username: brad_ts
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 12:49:12 am »
+1

theres always defcon suicide.

Fugitive Unknown

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 07:27:10 pm »

I've seen one game end due to forced Defcon Suicide, and that was my 3rd game (and I still could have gotten out of it if I'd have been smart enough to headline "We Will Bury You" or my other defcon card).

Three if you count intentional losses, where the person was just trying to quit, but I don't count those. That's just a creative way of resigning. Anyway.. it's very rare.

I'm now 3/18 with the US. Though I've been playing a lot of new players who make numerous rookie mistakes.

() | (_) ^/

• Wargameroom username: paddyodoors
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 09:44:03 pm »

theres always defcon suicide.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.