Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New Cards  (Read 5351 times)

Matty Defense

• Respect: +13
    • View Profile
New Cards
« on: November 15, 2012, 09:17:31 pm »

If no new expansions/new cards come into play, it is fairly easy to make and implement new cards (some old cards may have to be removed for balance).

Any suggestions as to the event(s), op values, ussr/usa favored?

I post a lot but I get no respect!

Ioan76_TM

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Re: New Cards
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 09:10:44 am »
+1

I proposed the addition of few cards in the game ( not too many anyway to not alter probabilities too much ) in order to have a - possible - better balance and more options :

Early War

1. Move "Our man in Teheran ..." card from MidWar deck and modify it like this :

US receive 2 Influence in Iran. USSR cannot use this card's OP value to perform Realignment rolls or a Coup in Iran.

2. Greek Civil War/Military Junta - 2 Op, remove from game after it is played, Neutral Event.

Both player roll a die. Phasing player add +1. Each player add +1 for any adjacent controlled country. Highest modified roll receive 1 VP, remove all enemy influence and add enough for control. The other player may place 1 Influence into an own controlled West/East European contry ( US/USSR ).

Mid War

3. Flower Power modification : The USSR receives 2 VP for every US played “War” card (Arab-Israeli War, Korean War, Brush War, Indo-Pakistani War, Iran-Iraq War), used for Operations or an Event, after this card is played and 1 VP if US' Military Operations Track reach 4. This Event is prevented / canceled by the “#97 – ‘An Evil Empire’” Event.

4. Helsinki Accords - Neutral Event, 1 ( ? not sure about this ) Op, remove from play.
USSR player may discard a scoring card and get enough influence in East Germany for control. US get 1 Influence in Czechoslovakia and 2 in Israel. Allows the “#101 – Solidarity” card to be played as an Event. Prevents / cancels the effect(s) of Red Scare/Purge Event. Wargames Event no longer playable.

5. Stock market crash* - Soviet Event, 3 Op, remove from play.

The US must randomly discard a card. If the card has a USSR associated Event, the Event occurs immediately. If the card has a US associated Event or an Event applicable to both players, then the card must be discarded without triggering the Event.

Basically the FYP card reversed - both for historical flavor and balance. The difference being that it get removed if played as an event. Not sure if this will not transform "Lone Gunman" into an even deadlier trap for US ...

6. Consumerism - US Event, 2  Op

US player uses this Event to draw the top 3 cards from the draw pile. The US may discard any or all of the drawn cards, after revealing the discarded card(s) to the USSR player, without triggering the Event(s). Any remaining drawn cards are returned to the draw pile and the draw pile is reshuffled.

Re-introduction of "Our man in Teheran" but as a recurent and less powerfull event.  :)

7. KGB disinformation campaign* - Soviet Event, 2 Op, remove from play

If US play this as an event the Soviet player may discard a non-scoring card and draw a replacement. USSR player should play this card simultaneously with another one and add both cards OPs to a maximum of 4. If the pair card contains an US event this is canceled.

Late War

8. “An Evil Empire”* modification : The US receives 1 VP. All US Realignment rolls, for the remainder of this turn, receive +1 to their die roll. This Event prevents / cancels the effect(s) of the “#59 – Flower Power” Event.

IMHO the actual version of this card is too weak ( except for desperated case to prevent a Wargames-loss ).

9. Glasnost* modification : Improve the DEFCON level by 1 and the USSR receives 2 VP. The USSR may make Realignment rolls or add Influence, using this card, if the “#87 – The Reformer” Event has already been played. "The Voice of America" event will remove just 2 USSR Influence instead of 4.

10. Ecologism* - Soviet Event, 2 Op, remove from play.

Remove 1 US Influence from three of following countries : UK, Canada, W. Germany, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Australia or Japan.

I'm curious about your opinion and I'm awaiting your devastating criticism. :)
Still think to a way to prevent/mitigate multiple RedScares/Purges on the same player which seems to be unbalancing and/or too "luck based"...  :o

Matty Defense

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 08:03:24 pm »

Great ideas and fantastic use of history!

I have been thinking about 'Golden Triangle', 'M/X Stockpile', 'Stasi', 'Grenada', 'Falkland War'.  I will have work on language and ops values.

But on a serious note, it is easy to make cards.  They could be created and sold on BBG... just an idea?

Fugitive Unknown

• Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 03:52:51 pm »
+1

So.. what gets taken out if there are new cards? Just adding a bunch would screw up the reshuffling and make scoring less likely, right?

Ioan76_TM

• Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:55:44 am »

Just adding a bunch would screw up the reshuffling and make scoring less likely, right?

Yes - this is an impact which should be considered by anyone who propose a game-extension. For that reason I'd prefer to see a limited number of cards and instead some others to be modified ( a little bit ) mostly for balance-purpose but also for some additional historical-flavor.
But what you said is true : if there will be too many cards added a recurrent-event will became more or less similar with one which is removed from deck and also scoring will be impacted. For the moment the game assumes ( and probably this was a design decission ) that the 3-EarlyWar regions - Europe, Asia and Middle East - will be scored usually 3-4 times, even if it's possible to have just 2 ( due to a lucky US discard using "Ask not what...*" of "Our man in Teheran*" or a clever USSR discard using "Five Year Plan" ). The other region will be scored usually 2-3 times or only once due to some events mentioned before - and special SE Asia will occur only once.
So there will be ( usually ) between probably 12 and a maximum of 22 scoring-based VP awards. One consequence of this is that the game-mechanic strongly favor this for VP-gain ( and as a consequence the INF-placement and so ... ) against other VP-sources ( SpaceRace track, MilOps track, VP from events and so on ). And this is just one aspect to be considered ...  ::)

But I'd say that addition of new 5-6 cards respect the existing fundamental design-paradigm. But for this to happen there should be acknowledge somehow that the game has few design-flaws ( like the lack of US-event with impact in ME in EarlyWar, lack of USSR-event for hand-management in MidWar while US has them and so on. :) ).

Sorry for the long and probably boring post(s) on this topic.  :-[
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:59:05 am by Ioan76_TM »

Matty Defense

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:01:17 am »

Those are good points, and yes it might/probably will alter scoring a bit.  However, that could be offset by having cards that award VPs.  Also, if most of the 'new' cards are Late War add-ons scoring should not be altered as much.  Often times I rarely get to see all of the Late War cards played.  I am not one for total immersion in game mechanics but it is always refreshing to see add-ons.  Plus, if the add-on does not work just subtract it out!

blitzgordon

• Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 05:07:42 am »

Here are some cards I would like to see based solely on theme and history (that is, I've not identified a need for their mechanic to happen). The values and events as therefore approximative.

Baader-Meinhof/Red Army Fraction 1 op, remove when played for event:
1 USSR VP, Remove two US INF from West Germany (more of a nuisance to the US, but something that's annoying and has to be addressed). Perhaps Add one UUSR INF to West Germany. I like the idea of removing though. Reflects the chaotic and asymmetrical  nature of urban guerillas.

Mathias Rust flies to the Red Square: 1 op, remove when played for event:
1/2 US VPs, and possibly som INF placement in Eastern Europe (not that the US needs more of those). A straight VP Card, could be used to balance the fact that scoring cards will come out less often with more cards in the deck. It's just a very cool event in Cold War history.

While I think that the deck is balanced as it is and that the reshuffling mechanic should be preserved, It's very fun to think up new cards and perhaps and new deck of optionals could one day see the light? Cold War Agricola, here we come!

Cianopanza

• Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 12:52:59 pm »
+2

If no new expansions/new cards come into play, it is fairly easy to make and implement new cards (some old cards may have to be removed for balance).

Any suggestions as to the event(s), op values, ussr/usa favored?

Hi everybody,

I live in Trieste, Italy

After the WWII this city and his province (738 km² around the Bay of Trieste and approximately 330,000 inhabitants)
was divided in "Zone A" (administered by British and American forces) and "Zone B" (under Yugoslavia control)
until 1954 (Memorandum of London), when the "Zone A" and the city of Trieste goes to Italy
and the "Zone B" becomes Yugoslavia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Territory_of_Trieste

This event was very important for propaganda in Italy (and the yugoslavian policy too...)

I want to create a card for my city and... this is an idea for a 2 ops card
Many thanks to Jayne Starlancer!!!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:00:13 pm by Cianopanza »

pietshaq

• Wargameroom username: WojciechPietrzak_TS
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
    • My Twilight Struggle blog
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 12:12:38 pm »

A few of my ideas:

Early War

Eisenhower's Doctrine*
(1Op, USA)
Add 2 USA Influence in Lebanon

Salazar Leads Portugal*
(2Ops, neutral)
Count Spain and Portugal as two separated countries being each other's neighbours and neighbours of all countries adjacent to Spain/Portugal for Europe Scoring and realignment rolls modifiers. May not be played as event in Late War. Stops working before turn 8 headline phase.

Turkish Coup
(1Op, neutral, recurring)
A player may make a free coup against Turkey using this card's operation points.

CIA/KGB Secret Operation
(2-4 Ops, neutral, recurring)
A player may make free coup anywhere in the world. Use this card's operation points and subtract the difference between current DEFCON and minimal DEFCON required to coup in the target country (subtract no less than zero). Cuban Missile Crisis still affects player. Other events, like NATO, Reformer, SALT, Latin American Death Squads, etc., affect only battlegrounds.
Ops value for this card is 2 in Early War, 3 in Mid War, and 4 in Late War.

Mid War

Neil Armstrong*
(2Ops, USA)
USA receives 1VP at the end of every turn during which USSR has not sent any card to Space. Makes Yuri Gagarin event unplayable.
USSR player may not send this card to Space.

Yuri Gagarin*
(2Ops, USSR)
USSR receives 1VP at the end of every turn during which USA has not sent any card to Space. Makes Neil Armstrong event unplayable.
USA player may not send this card to Space.

Fischer-Spassky*
(2Ops, USA)
Players play a chess blitz match which lasts 6 games or until USSR wins twice, whatever comes first. USA gains 1VP for each won game. If USSR wins any game, USSR gains 1VP but he may not earn VP's from this card altogether.
The version above applies if both players are also tournament chess players like Yours truly. For non-chess players Fischer-Spassky just makes Wargames event unplayable by USSR player.

Bahamas Independence*
(1Op, USA)
Cuba is not treated as USA's neighbour during all the upcoming Central America Scorings. Does affect Final Scoring. Cuba is treated as USA's neighbour for all other purposes.

Peace Negotiations*
(2Ops, neutral)
Allows a player hold any Scoring Cards at the end of this turn only.

Tense*
(4Ops, neutral)
Degrade DEFCON one level. Starting from the headline phase of the next turn, the first scoring's result will be divided by DEFCON level from the moment of scoring, then multiplied by 3. Round up the absolute value of scoring.

Late War

Singing Revolution*
(2Ops, USA)
Allows USA player pass one round in current turn without playing or discarding a card.

Dalai Lama Nobel Prize*
(3Ops, neutral)
Remove China Card from the game permanently.

We used to play with some subsets of the cards above. Since balance requires keeping the number of cards about equal 110, and since the above favour USA, we remove the adequate subset of the following cards (depending on which cards we add):
Summit, Latin American Death Squads, Arms Race, Nuclear Test Ban, Kitchen Debates, Our Man in Tehran, Evil Empire, Iron Lady.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:22:25 pm by pietshaq »
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72
My Twilight Struggle blog

BamBix

• Wargameroom username: BamBix_TS
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 06:54:29 am »
+1

While thematically sound, the gameplay influence of these seems to be overpowered...

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 07:25:11 am »

Depends on which.

1. Eisenhower is a gamechanger indeed cause it denies USSR possibility to definitely cut USA off the Middle East (unless USSR does it as usual plus plays Eisenhower and uses his OP immediately for Lebanon coup).

2. Salazar doesn't seem to change much, except from protecting USA against quick and dirty USSR Europe dominations.

3. Turkish Coup is just too cheap to reasonably change anything in the all over the game. It works like war cards, yet gives statistically less IPs and does not provide any Mil-Ops nor VPs.

4. CIA/KGB is a kind of gamechanger indeed. Like a Brush-War except that it gets stronger while the game goes on and its power still depends on the region it is used in.

5. Neil Armstrong and Yuri Gagarin are more funny/annoying (depending on the side) than really gamechanging. Like Yuri and Samantha, yet weaker but longer.

6. Fischer-Spassky is not recommended unless both TS players are also chess players and brings very much fun among chess players.

7. Bahamas Independence is even weaker than Armstrong or Gagarin.

8. Peace Negotiations is strong and gamechanging indeed.

9. Tense in practice means that once you get a Scoring Card you have to choose between multiplying scoring result by 150% and playing it as a speculative headline, remembering that if you want to score more points by multiplying, opponent's scoring coming first may make this not an option.

10. Singing Revolution is designed as a defence against Aldrich Ames forcing Lone Gunman/Ortega suicide.

11. Dalai Lama, paradoxically, adds fuel to the tension because it disallows China Card handsize management.
(Clarification: after playing Dalai Lama the China Card never returns. Nixon Plays the China Card, Ussuri River Skirmish, and Cultural Revolution have all non-China effect only. The China Card is also no longer recoverable for 3IP in CCW variation).
If you find my contribution useful, please donate some Bitcoins: 1LTicKy5ww4tAQwLqRDHxbpKHBQ9QvcK72

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 10:54:56 am »

Some modifications of the current cards:

Allende
If Junta, played as an event, is used to coup Chile, count Chile as 2-stability country. If the coup removes any IPs from Chile, the effect ends.
(+ original effect)

Lone Gunman
“Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You…” no longer playable as an event.
(+ original effect)

Wargames
the number of VPs given to the opponent depends on the turn and equals 25 minus doubled number of the turn, i.e. 9 in turn 8, 7 in turn 9, and 5 in turn 10

Quagmire
Second and any further discarded card may come with pay-off instead of rolling a die. Paying off always ends Quagmire successfully. If USA decides to pay off, USSR player either removes 4 USA IP or adds 3 USSR IP (no more than 2 per country in either case) in any Asian countries except Australia and Japan. All other Quagmire rules apply.

Bear Trap
Second and any further discarded card may come with pay-off instead of rolling a die. Paying off always ends Bear Trap successfully. If USSR decides to pay off, USA player either removes 4 USSR IP or adds 3 USA IP (no more than 2 per country in either case) within a region which contains Afghanistan, Pakistan, and all Middle East countries except Israel and Lebanon. All other Bear Trap rules apply.

Chernobyl
USA picks one region. For the remainder of the turn any Influence Point added by the USSR in that region using Operation Points costs 2 Ops extra.
(this means 3 for 1 in US-uncontrolled country and 4 for 1 in US-controlled country but at least not a total ban)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 01:13:49 pm »

Why do you think these cards should be modified?

pietshaq

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 03:11:21 pm »

Allende and Lone Gunman -- "should" is a wrong word. I just thought those "boosts" would be historically thematic.

Wargames -- too swingy too suddenly. However, this is my friend's idea which I am not a fan of. It came after a game with rare situation in which Wargames saved USA from Final Scoring defeat (USA started Late War with +7VPs, USSR started Late War with controlled Europe).

Quagmire and Bear Trap -- like above, my friend's ideas which I am not a fan of. His reasoning is that the original cards may lead to quick lose just because of bad luck which is rare but if it comes it's not mitigable in any part even with the most skillful play (which cannot be said about other cases of TS bad luck).

Chernobyl -- relying on what USSR can get in return for US-controlled Europe seems too speculative.

However, I'm perfectly fine to play without any cards modifications.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.