Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Missile Envy  (Read 2996 times)

Matty Defense

• Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Missile Envy
« on: November 20, 2012, 11:29:56 pm »

Rules question:

I played Missile Envy as my HL event as the USA player.  The USSR player chose to hand me Cuban Missile Crisis, which according to ME, the event was triggered immediately.  Therefore, the USSR was prohibited from making an coups anywhere on the map unless he removed the appropriate influence.  He conducted a coup in Cameroon resulting in DEFCON suicide which we reset.  The question was:  Because the USSR passed CMC to and I activated the event, why would the USA player (me) not be under the CMC restrictions?  Note, if he would have passed me a DEFCON suicide card on his AR, the DEFCON suicide would have come back to him.

This question was posed by Tony32280.
I post a lot but I get no respect!

bsheehan34

• Wargameroom username: brad_ts
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
Re: Missile Envy
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 02:56:00 am »

When he traded cmc for missile envy it was the same as if you had just headline cmc. So the coup restrictions apply to him.

Tony32280

• Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 01:58:05 pm »

So let's say we are in mid war HL phase.  Defcon is at 3.  USSR headline's We Will Bury You.  Defcon goes to 2.  USA HL's Missile Envy and gets Duck And Cover in exchange.  If I am understanding this correctly, the USA will lose because they are effectively HLing Duck And Cover and defcon will be at one.  In other word's HLing Missile Envy is a very risky play, right?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 05:41:13 pm »

Yes.  But that's the main situation in which Missile Envy will kill you at DEFCON 3: http://twilightstrategy.com/2012/10/08/missile-envy/  So not nearly as risky as it might seem.

bsheehan34

• Wargameroom username: brad_ts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 11:38:35 pm »

So let's say we are in mid war HL phase.  Defcon is at 3.  USSR headline's We Will Bury You.  Defcon goes to 2.  USA HL's Missile Envy and gets Duck And Cover in exchange.  If I am understanding this correctly, the USA will lose because they are effectively HLing Duck And Cover and defcon will be at one.  In other word's HLing Missile Envy is a very risky play, right?

correct...that card combo will lose the game for the us..so dont headline missile envy if you don't know where wwby and duck and cover are, or if you think the ussr wants to lower defcon in the headline (you made a nice ar7 play they would rather fix than coup)

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 01:39:26 pm »

If I draw WWBY as the USA, I try to hold it every turn rather than space it, so that the USSR can't safely play missile envy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.