Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How did you first learn about Twilight Struggle?  (Read 4799 times)

Jayne Starlancer

• Hero of Canton
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
How did you first learn about Twilight Struggle?
« on: October 21, 2012, 01:06:59 pm »
+2

I had been playing strategy board games like Pandemic, Settlers of Catan, and Ticket to Ride for a couple years. Then I started looking on Board Game Geek for more conflict-heavy games... I played Memoir 44, but I was looking for something a little deeper.

I had seen Twilight Struggle pictures and forum topics here and there, but I never paid them much attention. It looked a little too dry for my tastes... but then the event cards caught my eye, and I started reading about it. I was intrigued by how the event cards could add historical detail without the need for dozens of extra rules and exceptions.

This was around the time when the deluxe edition was being printed. I bought a copy soon after the release, and I have enjoyed Twilight Struggle ever since. I started to check out other GMT titles and CDG games, and I am now a happy wargamer.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 01:08:23 pm by Jayne Starlancer »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
Re: How did you first learn about Twilight Struggle?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 02:06:21 pm »

I learned about it at boardgaming night when I saw these two players playing something that looked awesome.  I asked about it, and when I heard it was about the Cold War, well, that was enough for me to know I'd love it.

vidra

• Wargameroom username: vidra_TS_1989
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 05:24:17 pm »

I learned about Twilight Struggle from Boardgamegeek's top-ranked game list. I wondered what made this strange game with an exotic theme so good that it was voted #1, so I ordered it from GMT Games during their fall sale. Not only did it live up to its reputation but it exceeded all my expectations. The first 3-hour game "flew by" leaving me with a dry throat and trembling with adrenaline. Wowzers! It was love at first play!

Klinsy73

• Wargameroom username: Klinsy73
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 06:05:03 pm »

I branched out of Settlers territory a few years back. We progressed to Stone Age, Agricola and Puerto etc. After that the collection expanded but we ignored the no.1 game on Boardgamegeek due it being a 2 player game!

My first game with a second hand 2nd edition left me cold. To be honest we did not have a clue. However we've played constantly since then. I'm always looking out for online challenges at wargameroom. There are some awesome players amongst the brethren.

I'd really like to say thanks to Theory for every valuable contribution made on behalf of all Twilight fans.

I'm a highly rated uk Scrabble player from London. I also do plenty of cycling and tennis. I am very proud to be a geek! I will always be up for another challenge of my favourite game. Hope to play you soon.

Cheers,
Chris

tandoorichicken

• Wargameroom username: Tandoori_TS
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 01:23:51 pm »

A new friend and I were chatting and the topic turned to gaming... I played some A-H wargames back in the 80s but over time became pretty much exclusively focused on chess and soccer, so no real time for other board games.  Got into MTG for awhile in the 90s and again a few years ago, so when my new friend (who is a hard-core board game fanatic) told me about this game that combined a card-driven mechanic with grand strategy territorial control, I figured I would give it a try.  I am a pretty passionate competitor, so I did a lot of research before I even played my first game against him (most of it on this website).  I lost, but then won games 2 and 3, and I was kind of hooked at that point.  Since then, I have played every chance I get on WGR.  This has all occurred over the last 3 weeks, lol.

Comrade Pwnuby Khilemolov

• Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 03:08:22 pm »

I saw TS in a gaming store when it first came out, several years ago. I looked through the blurb and thought it was a fun concept, but (oddly) I was turned off by the simplistic stylized packaging. I did not buy it.

Then on an internet forum, Tom Hanks' son started a thread and somebody found out that he liked Cold War history and board games, so they suggested TS for him. He promised he'd give it a try.

I got the game shortly thereafter and enjoyed it. It was lucky I waited, too, because now I have the Deluxe version rather than the initial release version.

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 01:15:01 am »

I went over to the specialty board game store around here looking for a copy of Agricola. I saw Twilight Struggle (deluxe edition) and was instantly charmed by the concept. (The concept art on the box attracted me too.) The price was high, but I decided to risk it and buy it. The store clerk let me know that they normally didn't stock the game: it was a special order and then the person who wanted it didn't follow through so it got put out on display as regular merchandise. I purchased Agricola at the same time, and I've played TS since much much more than Agricola. (Agricola's its own complex game in its own right, but I enjoy the tension of Twilight Struggle more.)

Riku Riekkinen

• Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 07:19:17 pm »

I learned about it in wargameroom. Wanted to play Paths of Glory & For The people, but people were playing this new "simple" card driven game. Hated it instantly. However when the time got on I gave to peer pressure and started playing it. Then I learned to like it, then to love it :D

Jayne Starlancer

• Hero of Canton
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 10:01:35 pm »
+1

I guess for me it was the exact opposite. Once I started playing Twilight Struggle, I started looking into other CGDs. I would say that Paths of Glory is one of my other favorite games.

Wingnut

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 12:12:21 am »
+1

I learned about it when theory announced the existence of this blog over on his dominionstrategy forum. From there I went and did some research and wanted the game but held off because of the 2 players only as my gaming group tends to be larger and likes 5-6 player games (we play lots of 7 Wonders, Citadels and Alhambra). Then we got to 8-10 people showing up so I decided to finally buy the game last week as we have been splitting into 2-3 games as a time. It looks like it might be the best purchase I have made (save for maybe Citadels which my group absolutely loves and can be played with 8 people).

And I managed to win my first game as USSR on turn 3 (managed to dominate Asia on turn 2 and had it dealt to me again while +16 on turn 3 as my opponent who had never played before just like me got stuck on trying to win in Europe even after I couped Italy on turn 1 with 6 roll on a 4 ops card).

Uglymug

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 06:32:17 pm »

I heard about it because I'm a huge fan of the X-COM series. When they announced the expansion, X-COM: Enemy Within, a few posters on the Firaxis boards mentioned that the lead designer of the expansion was going to be Ananda Gupta who had made his mark designing a well-regarded board game named Twilight Struggle. There was some talk about how Gupta might overhaul the oft-maligned strategic layer in favor of an influence and event-based system like TS. However, most of his changes involved the tactical layer. 

Personally, I liked a lot of decisions he made in Enemy Within, so I decided to check out his board game.

It's interesting because Firaxis and Sid Meir have a game design philosophy that's strongly rooted in board games. A lot of players of XCOM: Enemy Within have commented on its board game like "feel" (some criticizing it, others lauding it). Jake Solomon, the lead designer of Enemy Unknown, talked about labbing ideas for Enemy Within on board game mock-ups with Sid Mier.   

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.