Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Olympic Games as US Turn 1 Headline  (Read 6604 times)

Jayne Starlancer

• Hero of Canton
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Olympic Games as US Turn 1 Headline
« on: November 25, 2012, 09:21:39 pm »

What are everyone's thoughts on playing Olympic Games as a US headline on Turn 1? While there are certainly other events that could be better (Red Purge, Captured Nazi Scientist, Marshall Plan), in the event that none of these are available (or even if they are, you might want to hold Marshall Plan if it is your only 4 Ops and you are paranoid of a Red Scare + Blockade combo), I think that Olympic Games actually offers something good for the US player.

Mostly likely the USSR will not boycott and you will roll for the VPs. In the comments on Twilight Strategy:

http://twilightstrategy.com/2012/03/12/olympic-games/

... SnowFire says that you have an 80% chance of wining. Those are pretty good odds and 2 VPs in the Early War could provide the breathing room that the US player needs to make it into the Mid War in a good state.

The USSR is unlikely to boycott, but if he does, then what should the US player do with the 4 Ops? My initial thoughts are 2 influence into Afghanistan and Egypt. This creates a two-pronged problem in the Middle East (Egypt and Iran), and if the USSR coups either, then you are free to expand into Pakistan and Malaysia.

bsheehan34

• Wargameroom username: brad_ts
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
Re: Olympic Games as US Turn 1 Headline
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 10:07:52 pm »

yeah if nothing better is available then its a fine headline...if the ussr boycotts it would just be a terrible play...obviously expanding into Afghanistan would be priority number 1.

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:30:43 pm »

Olympic Games is a good Turn1 headline for either side. The only real danger is if your opponent somehow wins the die roll, which for the US especially can be horribly demoralizing.

I've only seen boycotts in two circumstances:
1. Boycotting secures a win by defcon for the boycotter.
2. The boycotter held a scoring card that would give him enough VP to win and would rather give up 4ops than a VP penalty that would spoil that.

Also I've heard of this happening but haven't seen it:
3. The player who played it for the event has 18+ VP and not boycotting would (probably) allow them to win by VP.
4. Boycotting gets the defcon to 2 so Wargames can be played by the boycotter next AR.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:36:37 am by Cal »

Eruantalon

• Wargameroom username: Janusz_Wójciak
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 06:40:27 am »

In early war there aren't too many great headlines for US. Sometimes you have to just headline something low-ops. In this case Olympics, which can grant the  breathing room of 2 VP's are pretty ok.

Matty Defense

• Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 09:28:29 am »

In early war there aren't too many great headlines for US. Sometimes you have to just headline something low-ops. In this case Olympics, which can grant the  breathing room of 2 VP's are pretty ok.

Exactly.  There are many craptacular USA starting hands in Early War and OG is hopefully a much needed 2 VP gain.  Throw in the usual failure to meet MilOps, that 2 VP gain looks even better.
I post a lot but I get no respect!

Tony32280

• Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 09:49:38 pm »

Exactly.  There are many craptacular USA starting hands in Early War and OG is hopefully a much needed 2 VP gain.  Throw in the usual failure to meet MilOps, that 2 VP gain looks even better.

I don't ever remember you playing that as an event.  Maybe in mid-late war when you need the VPs to scratch and claw your way back to even in the VP scoring.

Matty Defense

• Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 04:12:05 am »

I don't ever remember you playing that as an event.  Maybe in mid-late war when you need the VPs to scratch and claw your way back to even in the VP scoring.

I played that as T1HL in one of the last two games we played.... I think it was the first one when I had an all red hand.
I post a lot but I get no respect!

Riku Riekkinen

• Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 07:22:29 pm »
+1

I don't think its a good headline. Can't even remember when I've played it as an event.

darune

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 05:59:04 am »

As much as I like the flavor of this event, it is seriously a bad headline turn 1. Probably only if I have nothing else to headline and no 1 ops cards to headline.

Eruantalon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 08:46:18 am »

And why is that?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 10:47:52 am »

Well, it's only +1.25VP for 2 Ops.  In the Early War I'd rather not make that trade if I have anything better to headline.

Eruantalon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 11:16:00 am »

Well, as already stated it's some kind of last resort; an acceptable one, though.

discomute

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 12:34:29 am »

Surely anything is an acceptable last restort. 

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 07:53:25 am »

No. Soviet events, most other neutral events, and most US events like US/Japan Mutual Defense Pact, Special Relationship, and NATO are unacceptably bad last resorts.

Eruantalon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 01:51:22 pm »

Special Relationship, which is NATO-boosted might acctually be acceptable headline, especially if something wrong happened in Europe. And out of Soviet Events Romanian Abdication sometimes gets headlined by me.

MarlesChartel

• Wargameroom username: MarlesChartel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 06:31:19 pm »

We're talking about a Turn 1 headline. And you're right, Romanian Abdication is an exception as an OK US headline (-1 OP), as opposed to Olympic Games' 1.25VP - 2OP

Nightlyraver

• Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 12:49:26 pm »

We're talking about a Turn 1 headline. And you're right, Romanian Abdication is an exception as an OK US headline (-1 OP), as opposed to Olympic Games' 1.25VP - 2OP

Well, that's kinda the million dollar question.

Almost all cards are better headlines.  I know that there is this divide over Romanian vs. Olympics.  Personally, I prefer Olympics in that spot, but what do I know.

IMHO, here are the only non-red cards that I think are WORSE than Olympics to HL as US on Turn 1:  Duck and Cover, probably 5yr Plan, Truman Doctrine, NATO, Special Relationship, Independent Reds, Indo-Pak war, US/Japan, Formosan, Nuclear Test Ban.

As far as the red cards go, I think that the only one that may be worth headlining is Romanian, and in certain situations Blockade and Suez Crisis.

So now that I think about it, that leaves the US with about 10-12 HL cards in addition to possibly headlining Olympics.

ristonj

• Wargameroom username: JohnRiston_TSL
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 03:03:13 pm »

As far as the red cards go, I think that the only one that may be worth headlining is Romanian, and in certain situations Blockade and Suez Crisis.

I can't think of a scenario where you'd want to headline Suez Crisis on Turn 1 as the US, and in fact theory lists SC as one of the best possible Turn 1 headlines for the USSR (http://twilightstrategy.com/2012/03/29/suez-crisis/).  Why would you willingly eliminate yourself from the Middle East (pending the Iran coup) and not even get 3 Ops for your trouble?

I could see someone headlining Nasser in an extreme situation (all Red hand and best possible option, want to remove it from the deck, etc).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.