Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Our Man in Tehran  (Read 4986 times)

Matty Defense

• Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Our Man in Tehran
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:55:23 am »
+1

SnowFire gets credit for this observation:

Huh. I always assumed the event was talking about Kermit Roosevelt, who claimed credit for the coup that stuck the Shah in power (how much “credit” he actually deserves is a matter of dispute), and was somewhat timeshifted later than it should be (since the Iran coup is 1953 and more Early War). Instead, it’s… a Canadian diplomat? Who is famous for an action that takes place after US influence in Tehran has already crumbled, a Late War card? That makes even less sense. Oh, well.

Excellent observation....  any thoughts/comments?  Also, it would be nice if Theory's card discussion could be discussed on the forums.... Theory, any thoughts?
I post a lot but I get no respect!

Tony32280

• Respect: +7
    • View Profile
Re: Our Man in Tehran
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:16:30 am »

You value this card a lot.  Gulf States and Jordan are becoming a pain in my butt.

Julio

• You are not a cylon!
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
    • Partidas al Twilight Struggle
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:18:42 am »
+1

There is a recent book about this story.

Has anybody read it and can talk a bit about it?

Partidas al Twilight Struggle. Spanish blog with AAR of some games and other TS considerations.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:10:52 am »

Sadly the Deluxe Edition rules do not seem to have historical flavor for the Optional Cards, so I have been writing my own (edited from Wikipedia).

Matty Defense

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 02:36:24 pm »

Sadly the Deluxe Edition rules do not seem to have historical flavor for the Optional Cards, so I have been writing my own (edited from Wikipedia).

Is there a way you can have the card breakdowns/discussions transferred to the forums?

Matty Defense

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 02:37:16 pm »

There is a recent book about this story.

Has anybody read it and can talk a bit about it?

I havent read that book, but a class I took spent the better part of a month breaking down the whole hostage crisis.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 03:52:44 pm »

Is there a way you can have the card breakdowns/discussions transferred to the forums?

Not short of a manual copy/paste.  You can just make threads like you did here :)

Matty Defense

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 08:25:58 pm »

Not short of a manual copy/paste.  You can just make threads like you did here :)

Ok, will do.  When I see you post a new card, is it ok if I open up that card as a topic of discussion which should include BOTH game content AND historical content?

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 08:56:48 pm »

Absolutely.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 10:07:35 am »

So, interestingly, The Archon has pointed me to this copy of the Deluxe Edition Rules: http://www.gmtgames.com/nnts/TSRules-2009.pdf

This does have appropriate flavor text for Optional Cards, and has corrected me as to what OMIT is about.  I will update the blog accordingly.

But -- and maybe I am just being petulant -- I think I rather liked my flavor text better ... especially for Che and Special Relationship.

Matty Defense

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 11:10:19 am »

I really believe that OMIT does refer to the Hostage Crisis and the Canadian involvement.  I am going to have to scrounge up my old college notebooks for my notes on those lectures. 

For the game's use, I am assuming that the card is really referring to the many backdoor channels the CIA used to keep US interests alive in Iran.  Maybe the designers just lumped all of those people into one card/event and used the catchy name?

Also, I think that this card gives more credit to the fictional card Iran Air 665 which would be used in Late War - if they ever made that card.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Strategy
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 11:24:03 am »

Well the picture is undoubtedly the Shah.  But the name OMIT is certainly the Canadian ambassador.  Puzzling!

SnowFire

• Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 01:11:11 am »
+1

This makes more sense, since the Shah is more of a Mid War figure, and can generically stand in for any of the US-friendly dictatorships in the region.  US-friendly dictators I can buy doing powerful things and being "worth a card;" even the most minor events in the deck (Yuri & Samantha, Duck & Cover) were surely more important than the embassy escape thing.

Side note: TS is throwing a bone to the Soviets by making the Middle East so pro-Soviet most of the time...  "AWACS Sales to the Saudis" could easily have been renamed "ARAMCO" and moved to an Early War event, and properly remove the line about it preventing Muslim Revolution as well (the people sure didn't care whether the governments were getting oil deals / AWACS from the US or not...).  In actual 1965 or so, Libya is either uncontrolled or lightly-Western leaning, Lebanon & Saudi Arabia are Western-leaning, Iran is definitely US-controlled.  Iraq is basically uncontrolled, and Israel is Western-leaning but still in an awkward not really a US ally state similar to South Africa.  The Soviets really just have the UAR in Egypt & Syria.  Sure, things get better for the Soviets in the 70s, with Iraq & Libya both joining the Eastern Bloc, Lebanon descending into civil war, and Iran at least becoming neutral "We hate everyone but the US more..."  but Jordan & Egypt both lean toward the US, so maybe it's a push.  (And Iraq will eventually become buddy-buddy with the US briefly in the 80s.  Oops!)

Matty Defense

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 02:54:36 pm »

This makes more sense, since the Shah is more of a Mid War figure, and can generically stand in for any of the US-friendly dictatorships in the region.  US-friendly dictators I can buy doing powerful things and being "worth a card;" even the most minor events in the deck (Yuri & Samantha, Duck & Cover) were surely more important than the embassy escape thing.

Side note: TS is throwing a bone to the Soviets by making the Middle East so pro-Soviet most of the time...  "AWACS Sales to the Saudis" could easily have been renamed "ARAMCO" and moved to an Early War event, and properly remove the line about it preventing Muslim Revolution as well (the people sure didn't care whether the governments were getting oil deals / AWACS from the US or not...).  In actual 1965 or so, Libya is either uncontrolled or lightly-Western leaning, Lebanon & Saudi Arabia are Western-leaning, Iran is definitely US-controlled.  Iraq is basically uncontrolled, and Israel is Western-leaning but still in an awkward not really a US ally state similar to South Africa.  The Soviets really just have the UAR in Egypt & Syria.  Sure, things get better for the Soviets in the 70s, with Iraq & Libya both joining the Eastern Bloc, Lebanon descending into civil war, and Iran at least becoming neutral "We hate everyone but the US more..."  but Jordan & Egypt both lean toward the US, so maybe it's a push.  (And Iraq will eventually become buddy-buddy with the US briefly in the 80s.  Oops!)

I have all sorts of thoughts about the AWACS card and the US arms sales to the Middle East.  I will wait until Theory posts that to open that discussion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.