Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Star Wars  (Read 2782 times)

Matty Defense

• Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Star Wars
« on: December 05, 2012, 03:25:47 am »

Discussion?  Thoughts?  Historical/military perspective?
I post a lot but I get no respect!

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 02:59:02 pm »
+1

Very strong card. One of only two that lets you retrieve a discarded card, and Star Wars is superior to SALT as long as you need the event to happen immediately. A very good reason for neither side to ignore the space race.

One of the worst defcon suicide cards for the USSR because it doesn't rely on the US staging a coup, they can just trigger any defcon-degrading card in the pile, even a USSR event like WWBY. If How I Learned... is in the discards, it's an auto-lose no matter how high the defcon is at the moment.

The only good thing about this card for the USSR is that if they are forced to play it, the US might get so excited about playing East European Unrest or Voice of America again that they don't realize they can end the game immediately through defcon manipulation.

Only time I was disappointed to draw this card as the US was a strange game when the reshuffle occurred in the middle of Turn 7. (There was 1 card left and a play of either Our Man in Tehran or Ask Not... forced a mid-turn reshuffle.)  Then I drew this card at the beginning of Turn 8 and there was nothing in the discard pile worth activating again.

Julio

• You are not a cylon!
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
    • Partidas al Twilight Struggle
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 03:44:34 pm »

If How I Learned... is in the discards, it's an auto-lose no matter how high the defcon is at the moment.

WoW. I didn't realize of this way of losing a game.
Thanks for the enlightenment!
Partidas al Twilight Struggle. Spanish blog with AAR of some games and other TS considerations.

Nightlyraver

• Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:11:25 pm »

If How I Learned... is in the discards, it's an auto-lose no matter how high the defcon is at the moment.

WoW. I didn't realize of this way of losing a game.
Thanks for the enlightenment!

+1, NEVER thought of that either. 

I don't think that my regular opponent has ever played this when I was US and ahead in the space race, but if he ever tries to get rid of it at DEFCON 3 or something assuming that he is avoiding DEFCON suicide, I will DEFINATELY be looking for How I Learned...

Matty Defense

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 10:41:22 pm »

Great post Cal!  I usually am always behind in the space race as the USA player, but like you said, its a reason to no longer ignore the space race.

From a historial/military perspective -  Do you really think that the USA does not have space based atomic weaponry?  At the very least they have lookdown satellite photos, realtime face tracking, and who knows what else. 

Nightlyraver

• Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 03:22:34 pm »

From a historical prospective, I love how powerful this card is IF the US is ahead in the space race.  In reality, because the US was ahead of the soviets on the space race, they we able to perpetuate this incredible hoax that brought the soviets to their knees.  The hoax was so good that there are people today who still believe that the US has this satellite program that can shoot down ICBMs.  But if the US was behind in the space race, the hoax would have been worthless, just like with the card.

Matty Defense

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 06:47:24 pm »

From a historical prospective, I love how powerful this card is IF the US is ahead in the space race.  In reality, because the US was ahead of the soviets on the space race, they we able to perpetuate this incredible hoax that brought the soviets to their knees.  The hoax was so good that there are people today who still believe that the US has this satellite program that can shoot down ICBMs.  But if the US was behind in the space race, the hoax would have been worthless, just like with the card.

You know they have it right?  SDI and space based weapons are most surely orbiting above our heads.

Tony32280

• Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 12:52:05 am »

As much as people say it is not optimal to waste OPs on the space race, this card is one reason why I do it.  Getting a free powerful card in late war is almost always a game changer.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.