Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Early War Scoring and Over-committing  (Read 2554 times)

Nightlyraver

• Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Early War Scoring and Over-committing
« on: December 10, 2012, 12:17:25 pm »

I think I identified a big hole in my game, and thought I would post and see what others think of this.

A big mistake that I think I make is that I over-commit on trying to score big in the 3 early war regions, to my detriment.  Consider this:  If you were going to play a 2 ops card and in exchange your opponent gets 1VP, you would usually do it in a heartbeat.  So for every 1 op you exchange a 1/2VP swing to your opponent.  But let's say you have Asia Scoring and no one has domination.  You could contest it but you will have to use most of the ops in your hand to do it - say you need 10-12 plus the China Card.  And even then nothing is guaranteed.  So you get 5-6 points right now but you blow maybe 15 ops that could be used elsewhere?  That's gaining 1/3VP per op.  Or you could just spend 3 ops or so and just settle for a stalemate or 1-2 VP's in your favor from having more BG's.

I think this last scenario is often preferable.  By way of example, in a recent game I was able to very seriously contest both Europe and Asia in the early war.  The end result was a measly 6 or 7 VP's - but I needed to invest probably 30 ops over 2 turns to get there.  And all the while my opponent was doing just enough to prevent domination in both regions while simultaneously dropping influence in the mid war regions, when able.  I was basically gambling that Europe, where I achieved domination, would get scored twice in the early part of the game.

My point is, I'm thinking that going forward I'm not going to even bother trying to get domination in the first round of early war scoring, unless I can do it cheaply.  If I'm pretty sure that I can do it but I'll need to use all my ops to get there, I'm not going to bother.  Of course, the flip side is that when the scoring card probably is NOT going to be played, I'll need to quietly set myself up for the easy domination for future turns.

Thoughts?

Stringer

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Early War Scoring and Over-committing
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 02:20:12 pm »

I think you're overlooking subsequent scorings of the regions in your math.

Also, scoring one or more of the early war regions is pretty important for the USSR in my opinion. You want to come out of the early war with a 6-7 point lead. Conversely, that makes it very important for the US to stop the USSR from getting dominations in those early regions.

Another point: If you're dumping OPs into a region to get domination that means your opponent must also be dumping a lot of ops into that region. If they aren't fighting you, it shouldn't cost much to get domination at all.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:21:36 pm by Stringer »

Nightlyraver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 03:11:43 pm »

Yeah, but at what cost do you grab those points?

All the regions have cheapo non-BG's that someone can grab to either make domination much easier on themselves OR make it real tough for the opponent get domination.  I think what I'm trying to say is that unless you are able to swallow up those cheap non-BG's without investing a whole lot, then it might not be worth dumping all that influence into the region.  And on the flip side, if your opponent is able to answer your seizing control of a 3-stability country by taking a 1-stability country (balancing the country count) AND putting influence into the mid war areas at the same time, I think they are getting the upper hand.

Stringer

• Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 03:42:15 pm »

What you're saying applies to any region on the board. As with any choice in TS, you've got to evaluate the specific circumstances you're in. I don't think you can make a hard and fast rule to ignore early war dominations. There are simply too many factors that influence that decision.

Jayne Starlancer

• Hero of Canton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:42:28 pm »

My US strategy has been the best in my most recent games, but I usually try to prevent USSR Domination of regions in the Early War rather than obtain Domination myself. The problem I have encountered is that I do not make enough progress in the Early War regions and the USSR is still gaining 1-3 VP from them (due to more battlegrounds) during the Mid War, and I am not making up those VPs elsewhere.

I think you have to balance Ops investment because you need to not just prevent enemy Domination, you also need to set yourself up to threaten Domination later in the game. I think that goes for both the US and the USSR, depending on the situation and regions in question.

darune

• Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 04:50:33 am »

Well, it depends. Often it's a good idea to headline scoring cards in the early war to maximize operation points for the turn, depending somewhat on strategy. The usual exception for me is Asia scoring when im USSR and I don't have domination yet - I don't usually want to miss out on domination in Asia. There may be other exceptions later on, however with this mind, this is then almost never an issue in the early war unless getting dealt multiple scoring cards.

In generel though (around turn 3/midwar), if your holding the scoring card and choose not to headline it, either play aggresively for a region or try to sneak in a shift (placing some ops elsewhere as well) or give up (for now) in the region. Do not however play so aggresively for a region that it hurts you overall board position or hand management. I often find myself spending a few action rounds in the region and then either i will have accomplished what i wanted to or give up in the region and play the scoring card at a moment with some breathing room, usually before the last action round.

Nightlyraver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 02:51:38 pm »

Darune, I agree with you.  Played again last night and I think I need to rephrase my thought.  I think the key with the early war scoring is to preemptively try to swallow up the cheap non-BG's.  Don't hold back wait for it to be apparent that a region will be scored.  When it's apparent that Europe is not getting scored on Turn 1 - for example - it's probably the easiest to grab Spain/Greece/Turkey without much of a contest.  Or let's say it's an option to grab the cheap SE Asian countries or try to contest the Mid East - I think in that spot you gotta go for SE Asia and set yourself up for the easy domination later on.  I was trying this last night and as the US got Europe domination early on and made USSR headline Asia scoring to prevent Asian domination (gave me the AR1 BG coup and I got Asia domination soon after).

Tony32280

• Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 01:20:03 am »

As a USSR player, I have lost domination in many regions because I have forgotten about those cheap non-BG countries.  It almost always happens to me in Asia.  Conversely, I have easily gained Europe domination because I was able to pick up Spain, Greece, etc.  Everything you do has a trade off in the game.  You can spend your time trying to prevent domination/control or you can go after another region. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 23 queries.