Twilight Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Download the Twilight Strategy e-book!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Defcon Strategy for Turn 1  (Read 2578 times)

tidon12

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Defcon Strategy for Turn 1
« on: December 17, 2012, 11:48:07 am »

I wanted to discuss incentives for both US and USSR to lower Defcon in Turn 1.

When I play the USSR, I often find there's little incentive for me to lower defcon past 4 in turn 1 unless I have destal/decol (USSR in early war generally only has influence in countries that have high stability + lowering Defcon to 3 allows the US to move towards Taiwan). On the other hand, as the US, I often feel incentivized to lower defcon as soon as possible (get to Taiwan, expand safely into Egypt with low ops, avoid defcon rising to 5 in turn 2, etc.) so I will sometimes coup a battleground I have no chance at getting (eg. Iraq) to both lower decon and get some military ops. Is this a normal part of most people's strategy or is general consensus that this is a bad move?

Dividing the world into two scenarios, what's your opinion on Defcon in the early game either way?

Iran coup is weak or no effect (<= 2 soviet influence) - likely won't have defcon issues as US should probably coup back / if no effect, us will probably expand outward and the soviets likely won't loet defcon remain high

Iran coup is strong (>=2 soviet influence) - more likely to run into defcon issues, as given normal ops scarcity for the US in the early war, you probably won't attempt to coup back Iran given that that soviets can you coup again at decon 3

Cal

• Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Re: Defcon Strategy for Turn 1
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 01:29:22 pm »
+1

I'm going to assume you meant Thailand and not Taiwan in your post.

I think the general consensus is that as the US, you want the USSR to make a coup that lowers the defcon to 3, then you want to put influence in Thailand your next AR. Making the coup to bring the defcon to 3 yourself gives the initiative to the USSR, who might be able to sneak to Thailand with Decolonization, De-Stalinization, or Vietnam Revolts, especially if the US doesn't have influence in Malaysia. Best scenario for the US is for the USSR to attempt to coup Egypt at Defcon 4, since Nasser will give the USSR Egypt anyway and Sadat will take it all back mid-war.

The tricky part is that Malaysia is low enough stability that if you put influence there in while the defcon is at 4, the USSR might just coup it and if it succeeds then the US will really be in trouble in Asia. Of course you could coup it back, but it's likely that if the US AR ends with USSR influence still in Malaysia, they'll coup another bg their AR to get the defcon to 3. It's very much a tightrope and there's no easy solution unless the USSR just outright ignores SE Asia.

I'd say the USSR has incentive to leave the defcon at 3, not 4. If they leave it at 4, then Afghanistan, Pakistan, and the SE Asia countries are all vulnerable to coup attempts. If Turn1 ends at defcon 3, however, the USSR can use their opening coup next turn to target Thailand and undo the hard work the US did getting there.

bsheehan34

• Wargameroom username: brad_ts
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 03:23:58 pm »

What cal said. Don't bother with a coup to lower defcon as the US unless it is to get back into Iran. Expand in the mid east to Egypt or in Europe and ignore Asia for the moment since defcon makes expansion scary to both sides. Coup at the end of the turn so an Italy coup isn't possible turn 2 ar 1.

If the USSR does coup and you get to Thailand you need to coup defcon to 2 so there is no ar 1 Thailand coup turn 2

Nightlyraver

• Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 03:55:19 pm »

Yeah, a lot really depends on what is in your hand.  As US, if you get totally locked out of western Asia then you really need to re-think your strategy about Asia and DEFCON is really only tangential to this.  What I mean is that in such a case I'm usually trying to create a crisis for the USSR in other parts of the world.  And he'll just have to coup to deal with it.  Or USSR actually is able to parachute into SE Asia, in which case they will coup a BG and get DEFCON down the 3 just to protect themselves; the US can then respond.  It's pretty rare that I see DEFCON even at 3 at the end of Turn 1 in my games.

Lowering DEFCON is almost always a big part of my strategy because it protects your investments.  Like if you are expanding into Africa or the Americas, you definitely don't want to give the USSR a chance to get access through a coup, unless you can't avoid it (like the AR1 coup).

tidon12

• Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:01:13 pm »

That makes sense, and yep, I meant Thailand.

Tony32280

• Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 01:26:10 am »

I will almost always take the defcon down to 3 before I move into Asia.  As a USSR player, I am going to do my best to protect my investments.  What is the point of placing 2 or 3 inf in Pakistan if the USA can coup it?  I feel that you are limiting your options by keeping defcon at 4 in turn 1 unless you are going after Europe control.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.